Zheng Liu is a partner in the Intellectual Property and Commercial Litigation groups. She regularly represents and advises Chinese and Taiwanese technology companies on a wide range of legal issues relevant to doing business outside China, particularly in intellectual property, technology law, commercial disputes, and international trade. With a background in both biology and physics, she works with companies in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, drones, internet, fintech, and life sciences. Some of the Chinese and Taiwanese companies she has represented are Foxconn, DJI, Tencent, Foxit, OPPO, Ubtech, Aopen, Acer, Nanya, and Xiaomi.
Zheng has been the lead member for many intellectual property and commercial litigation cases and has argued important issues such as claim construction and examined witnesses in federal courts. She focuses on patent, trade secret, copyright and trademark litigation and also has substantial experience in contract, consumer class action and other types of commercial disputes.
Zheng is the past President and current Board Member of Chinese American Lawyers of the Bay Area (CALOBA), an organization dedicated to helping Chinese-speaking lawyers and law students in their career development, and the general Chinese American community in understanding their rights and responsibilities in the U.S. She regularly speaks and writes on issues relating to intellectual property, litigation, technology law and international trade.
Before joining Rimon, she worked at the international firm Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP where she established and led Orrick’s Drone & UAV practice.
- DJI (Dajiang Innovations) Zheng represented this leading drone company in a wide variety of legal matters, including patent and trademark portfolio management and dispute resolution, technology licensing, data privacy counseling, product liability counseling, employment counseling, and consumer class action litigation.
- Xiaomi Corporation: Zheng represented Xiaomi in a variety of legal issues relevant to doing business worldwide.
- Foxit Zheng represented Foxit in various intellectual property and contract disputes.
- Logitech, Inc. Zheng represented this leading consumer electronics company against many patent-holding companies. Some cases have been favorably settled and some are still pending. Zheng also worked with Logitech on various IP due diligence and counseling matters.
- Varian Medical Systems, Inc. Zheng defended this leading radiation therapy equipment company in a few patent infringement suits brought by non-practicing entities. She also worked with Varian on various licensing and other litigation matters.
- Vigour Pak and Vigour Plastic. Zheng represented these Taiwanese companies in a contract dispute against their former U.S. distributor, which claimed exclusive distribution rights based on an alleged oral contract.
- Zhongshan Golden Dragon Amusement Equipment Co. Zheng represented this Chinese company in a patent-infringement action filed by a competitor in Florida and achieved favorable settlement.
- OPPO Digital, Inc. Zheng successfully defended this Chinese-owned Silicon Valley company, which produces the highest-rated disc players, in a patent infringement action filed by patent holding company Blue Spike in Texas.
- Or-Cal, Inc. Zheng defended this chemical and agricultural product company against TKI.
- Microsemi Corp. and D-Link Systems Inc. Zheng defended these companies against Chrimar Systems Inc. in a patent infringement case at the Eastern District of Michigan. This case was favorably settled.
- Acer Inc., Nanya Corp. and Powerchip Corp. Zheng defended these three Taiwanense companies against Tessera Inc. at U.S. International Trade Commission in a §337 action. An unusual and significant win for these companies was achieved.
- AOpen America Inc. and AOpen Inc. Zheng defended this Taiwanese company in a $30 million contract damages suit. This case was favorably settled.
- Amgen, Inc. Zheng worked on various legal issues related to the famous Cabilly Patents in the antibody space.
- Qualcomm Inc. Zheng worked on multiple wireless communication patent infringement lawsuits.
- Top Legal Risks for sUAS Manufacturers and Service Providers, Small Unmanned Systems Business Exposition, San Francisco, May 4, 2017
- Top Legal Risks for Robotics companies, Shenzhen Robotics Association & Shenzhen International Arbitration Court, February 2017
- How the Landmark New Civil Trade Secret Law Affects you, Menlo Park, December 6, 2016
- Trademarks, U.S. Clearance, Protection & Enforcement Strategies, Shenzhen, November 2, 2016
- Networking 101 for Chinese lawyers, Menlo Park, October 4, 2016
- Trade secrets, unavoidable risks for Chinese companies doing business internationally, Shanghai, April 26, 2016
- Legal Issues for Chinese Investments in the U.S., Angels Global, Palo Alto, December 6, 2015
- Patent Workshop, Chinese American Biopharmaceutical Association, Foster City, December 4, 2015
- IOE Panel, SVC Wireless Annual Conference, November 21, 2015
- Trade Secrets Issues: Ignore Them at Your Peril, Menlo Park, September 22, 2015
- Discovery in Complex U.S. Litigation and Document Management, Shenzhen, July 15, 2015
- Trade Secrets, EEA and Export Control, Menlo Park, April 14, 2015
- Data Privacy and Security in The Age of Mobile Internet, Beijing, March 18, 2015
- Essential Document Management for Compliance and Litigation, Shenzhen, March 6, 2015
- Risks and Remedies in cross-border technology transfer, University of Science & Technology of China School of Management, Hefei, Anhui, October 13, 2014
- Data Privacy in the Age of Mobile Internet, Mobile Payment Security Conference, Beijing, June 2014
- What Chinese American Professionals Must Know About Trade Secrets and Export Control Cases: Lessons from Civil Lawsuits and Criminal Prosecutions, Menlo Park, CA, May 2014
- U.S. Litigation Risks to Chinese Companies, Zhuhai Software Park, March 2014
- U.S. Litigation Risks to Chinese Companies, Zhongshan Overseas Investment Enterprise Association, March 2014
- How Do Companies in the Greater China Region Fare in the U.S. Patent System? Menlo Park, CA, March 2014
- U.S. Litigation Risks to Chinese Companies, Fuzhou Software Park, Fuzhou, November 7, 2013
- U.S. Litigation Risks to Chinese Companies, Suzhou Industrial Park, October 29, 2013
- U.S. Litigation Risks to Chinese Companies, Chengdu, China, October 14, 2012
- Trade Secrets Litigation and its Impact on Chinese Companies, Intellectual Property Institute, China Eastern University of Law & Politics, Shanghai, October 10, 2012
- 2012 U.S. Patent Law Update, Successful Women In IP Annual Meeting, Menlo Park, CA, September 12, 2012
- Why are Chinese engineers, scientists and professionals convicted?, Menlo Park, CA, July 14, 2012
- Biosimilars: Science, Business, IP and Regulatory Issues, CACO Pharmaceutical & BioScience Society, Foster City, CA, May 20, 2011
- IP issues for biopharmaceutical professionals, CABS Science Workshop on Nucleic Acid Based Therapies, Menlo Park, CA, April 10, 2010
- Document Management Strategies and E-discovery Cost Contaiment, San Jose Biocenter, October 29, 2008
- U.S.-China Cross Border Intellectual Property Issues, Shanghai Jiatong University Venture Group, February 19, 2008
- U.S.-China Cross Border Intellectual Property Issues, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, November 13, 2007
- New Development in U.S. Patent Law and its Effect on Chinese Companies' IP strategy, Shanghai Bioforum, July 5, 2007
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Legal Co-Chair, 36th Anniversary Dinner, Asian Law Alliance, 2013
- Prosser Prize for Biotech and Chemical Patent Law, UC Berkeley School of Law (UC Regents), 2003
- Winner Nineteenth Annual Graduate Research Symposium, The Ohio State University, 1994
- Co-author, “Federal Circuit: ITC Does Not Have Jurisdiction Over Electronic Transmissions of Digital Data”, Managing Intellectual Property, December 2015
- Co-author, “Five Questions You Should Ask Yourself About the Section 337 Complaint That Was Just Filed Against You”, Managing Intellectual Property, September 2015
- Co-author, “Treading Carefully in Discovery”, Managing Intellectual Property, June 2015
- Co-author, “Judgment as the beginning for the enforcement of an ITC exclusion order”, Managing Intellectual Property, December 2013
- Co-author, “The Increasingly Lenient ITC Domestic Industry”, Managing Intellectual Property, March 2013
- Co-author, “Biosimilar Legislation and Its Impact on IP Protection”, Trends in BioPharmaceutical Industry, Vol.5, Issue 4, 2009
- Co-author, “Litigation in the land of the foreign devil: section 337 investigations at the U.S. International Trade Commission”, Caijing Magazine, September 14, 2009
- Co-author, “U.S. International Trade Commission §337 Investigation procedure summary”, Chinese Lawyer, 2008
- Ray-yuan Chuang, Paul Weaver, Zheng Liu and Tien-Hsien Chang, “Requirement of the DEAD-Box Protein Ded1p for Messenger RNA Translation”, Science, Vol. 275, 1468-1471, 1997
- Zheng Liu, Clayton C. Huntley, Bishnu P. De, Tapas Das, Amyia K. Banerjee, and Michael J. Oglesbee, “Phosphorylation of Canine Distemper Virus P Protein by Protein Kinase C-zeta and Casein Kinase II”, Virology, Vol. 232, 198-206, 1997
- Tien-Hsien Chang, Lori J. Latus, Zheng Liu, and John M. Abbott, “Genetic interactions of conserved regions in the DEAD-Box protein Prp28p”, Nucleic Acids Research, Vol. 25, No. 24, 5033-5040, 1997
- Michael J. Oglesbee, Zheng Liu, Hai Kenney, and Charles Brooks, “The Highly Inducible Member of the 70 kDa Family of Heat Shock Proteins Increases Canine Distemper Virus Polymerase Activity”, Journal of General Virology, Vol. 77, No. 9, 2125-2135, 1996
News, Events, & Insights
Rimon team helps self-driving startup XMotors fight against Tesla’s demands in trade secrets battle
News April 28, 2020
Rimon Represents Foxconn in Royalties Case Against Microsoft
News May 09, 2019
Rimon’s Expansion to Shenzhen Covered by The American Lawyer, The Global Legal Post, Asian Legal Business and Lawfuel
News January 29, 2019
Rimon Opens Shenzhen Office
News January 24, 2019
Global Banking & Finance Review, The Cali Chronicles, and Law360 articles about Zheng Liu joining Rimon
News November 01, 2017
Commercial Litigation and Intellectual Property Attorney, Zheng Liu, joins Rimon as Partner in its Palo Alto office
News October 02, 2017