Saverio (Sam) Coppola is a partner in Rimon's Montreal office who focuses his practice on entertainment, media and commercial tax law. Mr. Coppola represents financiers, film, television, gaming, technology and web clients in entertainment law, tax and corporate law related issues. He also has significant experience in worldwide tax credits and structuring co-productions and ventures with Canadian, U.S., European and Asian companies.
Mr. Coppola is a recognized thought leader in entertainment law. Notably, he co-created the podcast, “Show Me The Money – Film Financing”. He has taught and lectured at various educational institutions and conferences worldwide. A legal innovator, he maximises the use of current technologies and operates a "paperless" practice.
- Québec Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television
Awards & Recognition
Mr. Coppola's achievements include:
- Lawyer of the Year in Entertainment Law in Quebec, Best Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (Entertainment Law) list - 2011-2020
- Martindale-Hubbell BV® Distinguished™ 4.4 out of 5 Peer Review Rating
- Leading Lawyer, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (consistently recommended - Entertainment Law)
Speaking Engagements and Conferences
- “Show Me The Money – Film Financing”, 2020-2021 - Ongoing Podcast, YouTube, Spotify, iTunes.
- Techtainment—Convergence entre la technologie et le droit du divertissement, Grands Rendez-vous de la Formation, Barreau du Québec, Montréal & Québec, 2020 & 2021
- International Financing Review, AFM, Los Angeles.
- Estate and Tax Planning, Investors Group Seminars.
- Website Entanglements;Multimedia website analysis, Centre juridique des avocats du Québec.
- Trusts: Estate Planning & Protection, Private conferences (Montréal).
- Civil Code Reform, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA).
- Co-producing with China, Banff-TV World Festival, moderator.
- Personal Residence Trusts, The Gazette (Montréal).
- Estate Freezes and Reversals, C.I.C.A., Accountants Workshop.
- Analyse financière et fiscale de la Loi 146, Conference (RCGT).
- Réforme du Code civil (loi 20 et 146), Conference, Colloque A.P.F.F.
- Film Financing Film workshop, CCCE, Albany, NY.
- "Maximizing Alternative Revenue Streams in the Multi-platform Universe", Conference Prime Time, Ottawa, panellist.
- Film Financing Conferences; Star Contracts “Financing Independent Films”.
- Gap Financing Films, ZGA Media Conferences—Women in Media, Montreal World Film Festival, moderator and panellist.
- Internet Content Regulations; Coudert Brothers Studio Presentations, Los Angeles.
- Co-productions Canada at Cannes, Cannes Film Festival.
- MPA Copyright & Moral Rights Survey, MPAA, Los Angeles, California.
- Canadian Film and Multimedia Tax Credits, MediaXchange Masterclass Seminar, Hamburg, Germany.
- "Achieving the Paper-less Office, as part of the leg@llT3.0 Conference, Montreal, Quebec.
- Safe Income: A Misnomer, author, C.A. Magazine.
- Vivre en condo, author, Actif Magazine.
- International Film Tax Incentives, BLG Publication, author.
- Jobs Act Holds Incentives for Producing Films in the U.S., Tax Notes International, co-author.
- Producing with Pacific Rim: China, Japan, South Korea; Crédits d’Impôts Cinématographiques Canadiens et Québécoises, Les Affaires, author.