Robin Powers focuses on financial transactions entered into by hedge funds and other financial institutions, with an emphasis on derivatives, prime brokerage and securities lending agreements. Prior to Rimon, Ms. Powers was an attorney at Sutherland Asbill & Brennan.
Ms. Powers has extensive experience negotiating and documenting International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) master agreements, master repurchase agreements, collateral and other credit support documents, prime brokerage agreements, and securities lending agreements. She assists clients in their various transactional activities including documentation of structured transactions, credit default swaps, equity derivative transactions, interest rate swaps, asset swaps, total return swaps and currency transactions. She has also developed master confirmations for various derivative products.
Ms. Powers has experience structuring and organizing domestic and offshore investment funds including the design, structure and operation of investment portfolios. She also provides ongoing advice to investment advisory clients relating to their investment products and services and trading issues. Ms. Powers assists both investment fund and investment advisory clients in the negotiation and documentation of agreements with service providers including administrators, data and electronic trading service providers, auditors, and prime brokers.
Ms. Power’s extensive representative experience includes:
- Representing a number of hedge fund families and other end-user clients on documentation for all derivatives products, master securities loan agreements, global and overseas lending agreements, prime brokerage arrangements, give-up arrangements and master netting agreements
- Regularly advising end users on practices to minimize counterparty risk and assisted clients with the termination of derivative and cash trades in a dealer bankruptcy
- Representing a credit fund in structuring and negotiating a $500 million total return swap (TRS) based on a portfolio of loans and frequently advising on the structuring, negotiation and documentation of TRS facilities
- Updating templates for documentation of derivatives transactions on behalf of a variety of clients including hedge funds, mutual funds and insurance companies
- Negotiating on behalf of funds and other end-user clients to avoid termination of derivatives transactions due to significant net asset value decline
- Representing a hedge fund and other end-user clients in a wide range of disputes involving collateral valuation, ISDA events of default and early terminations, secondary loan trading, novations and fund liquidations
- Author, Monoline Insurers: Confusion and Chaos in the Credit Default Swap Market, Derivatives: Financial Products Report (Vol. 9, No. 7), Mar. 2008.
- Co-Author, Hedge Fund Roundtable, Financier Worldwide, Jan. 2007.
- Chair, Speaker, Program on Central Clearing – Central Clearing of Interest Rate Swaps, Hedge Fund Roundtable, June 15, 2010.
- Chair, Program on Central Clearing – Questions and Answers from the Buy-Side Perspective, Hedge Fund Roundtable, Apr. 15, 2010.
- Panelist, OTC Derivatives, American Bar Association Derivatives & Futures Law Committee Winter Meeting, Jan. 29, 2010.
- Speaker, Program on Market Initiatives and Pending Derivatives Regulation, Hedge Fund Roundtable Sept. 29, 2009.
- Speaker, Webinar on Pending Tax Initiatives and Their Impact on Investment Funds, July 28, 2009.
- Speaker, “Pending Investment Adviser Regulation,” Hedge Fund Roundtable, June 11, 2009.
- Speaker, Hedge Fund Roundtable on Collateral and Liquidity – Lessons from “Black September,” Apr. 2, 2009.
- Panelist, New York City Bar Association CLE Program on Credit Derivatives & Bankruptcy Law: What the Securities, Finance & Bankruptcy Practitioner Needs to Know About These New Products, Mar. 10, 2009.
- Panelist, OTC Credit Risk in the Post-Bear Stearns World, Feb. 3, 2009.
- Speaker, Webinar on Examining Strategies and Best Practices for Managing Counterparty Risk, Aug.12, 2008.
- Panelist, New York City Bar Association Panel on Credit Derivatives and Bankruptcy Law, May 12, 2008.
- Speaker, “Differences in Use and Applicability between the 1992 and 2002 ISDA® Master Agreements,” American Conference Institute, 5th Annual Conference on Negotiating and Tailoring ISDA® Master Agreements and Confirmations, Mar. 31, 2008.
- Speaker, “Documenting Credit Derivative Confirmations,” American Conference Institute Derivatives Boot Camp, Nov. 5-6, 2007.
- Speaker, “Credit Default Swaps and Succession,” Barclays Global Gaming, Hospitality and Leisure Credit Conference, Sept. 6-7, 2007.
- Speaker, “Equity Derivatives Transactions,” American Conference Institute Derivatives Boot Camp, Mar. 7-8, 2007.
Blog Posts by Robin Powers
News, Events, & Insights
Post-trade Challenges in OTC Derivatives Clearing
Events Oct 02, 2015
Pre-Trade Challenges in Central Clearing of OTC Derivatives
Events Oct 02, 2015
ISDA 2014 Derivatives Definitions Protocol
Insights September 04, 2014
Rimon’s Robin Powers featured in the Spring 2014 issue of Perspectives Magazine, the American Bar Association’s publication for and about women lawyers
News June 15, 2014
Rimon Partner Robin Powers Featured as Female Powerbroker by Law360
News April 14, 2014
Hedge Fund Advertising Law- Fundamentals and New Developments: CLE Video
Insights January 20, 2014