Richard Mooney is a partner in Rimon's litigation group. He has 20 years experience litigating and arbitrating complex domestic and international business disputes, with a particular emphasis on antitrust/competition and intellectual property matters. He has represented individuals and corporations of all sizes from the United States and nearly two dozen other nations in trial and appellate courts and in arbitration proceedings in the U.S. and internationally. His philosophy is to deliver each client thoughtful analysis, sound judgement, aggressive advocacy, and close attention to client service.
Mr. Mooney began his career at the highly-regarded international law firms Heller Ehrman (now dissolved) and Latham & Watkins after clerking for the Honorable Amalya L. Kearse of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in New York. Mr. Mooney's pro bono work has included a major victory in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, halting efforts to weaken the famous “dolphin-safe” standard for canned tuna.
Representative Matters Include:
- Representation of a leading U.S. electronics retailer and a leading U.S. gaming company in what the Department of Justice has characterized as the most significant cartel case in the history of the Sherman Act. (Northern District of California)
- Representation of an English video game agency in various contract negotiations and a five week jury trial. (Los Angeles Superior Court)
- Representation of a Danish Academy Award-winning film director in copyright litigation. (Central District of California)
- Representation of a leading international payment card system regarding an abuse of dominant position complaint under Korean law. (Korean Fair Trade Commission)
- Representation of an international financial services company headquartered in Jersey (Channel Islands) in interrelated litigation on three continents. (Royal Court of Jersey; High Court of Justice of England and Wales; District Court of New South Wales; San Francisco Superior Court)
- Representation of a U.S. electronics distributor against a Hong Kong manufacturer in a several day jury trial. (Central District of California)
- Representation of a one of the world’s most well-known surfers in trademark matters and partnership and sponsorship litigation. (San Francisco and Los Angeles Superior Courts)
- Representation of the estate of a U.S. citizen in French arbitration related to the valuation of his share of a large privately-held company. (International Court of Arbitration; Paris)
- Representation of an Italian manufacturer of industrial power cleaning equipment in litigation brought by one of the company’s Chinese suppliers. (San Francisco Superior Court)
- Representation of a U.S. biotech investment fund in litigation against Danish shareholders in a U.S. biotech startup. (San Francisco Superior Court)
- Representation of an Italian video game company in breach of contract litigation. (Northern District of Illinois)
- Defense of a leading international power tool company in litigation alleging violations of Sherman-Act Section 1 and California’s Cartwright Act. (Northern District of California)
- Defense of Walker Process counterclaims asserted against a leading manufacturer of electronic components in a patent infringement suit involving two several-week jury trials. (Central District of California; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals)
- Defense of a leading international payment card system in defense of Sherman Act 1 and Section 2 claims related to the routing of payment card transactions for authorization, clearance, and settlement. (Northern District of California)
- Representation of a French holder of copyrights related to one of the most renowned artists of the 20th century in copyright and enforcement litigation. (Northern District of California; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals)
- Representation of the author of one of history’s most beloved fantasy novels in U.S. and international licensing negotiations.
- Representation of a leading celebrity chef in real estate disputes and negotiations relating to his flagship restaurant.
- Provision of Sherman Act and Robinson-Patman Act compliance advice to a leading U.S. payment card system, a leading Canadian printing company, and other U.S. companies in the personal care and power tools sectors.
News, Events, & Insights
Rimon Partners Recognized on 2014 California Super Lawyers List
News January 02, 2015
Hedge Fund Advertising Law- Fundamentals and New Developments: CLE Video
Insights January 20, 2014