Practice Groups and Client Sectors:Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights, Real Estate, Corporate, International, Financial Services
Areas of Focus:Africa, Europe, Leveraged Finance, Litigation Finance, Mergers and Acquisitions, Real Estate Transactions, Russia, the Baltics, and the CIS, The United Kingdom, The Middle East
Richard Ernest is an English law-qualified solicitor whose practice focuses on banking and finance, principally advising borrowers/investors (but also lenders) on all aspects of finance transactions. This includes the financing of domestic and cross-border acquisitions and general corporate lending. In addition to corporate finance, he is experienced in Islamic and conventional leveraged and structured finance, project and ECA-backed finance, acquisition finance, real estate finance, and restructurings and workouts.
Mr. Ernest is ranked by Chambers Global 2019 as a leading lawyer for the United Arab Emirates: Banking & Finance. The publication quotes clients as praising his technical proficiency and “good client manner”. In addition, Mr. Ernest is recommended by Legal 500 EMEA 2017 for UAE: Banking & Finance and also ranked by IFLR1000 2019 as ‘highly regarded’ for UAE: Banking.
Prior to joining Rimon, Mr. Ernest was a Partner at Gibson Dunn and he practiced with a magic circle firm, working in the London, Moscow and Frankfurt offices from 1997. He relocated to Abu Dhabi in January 2008 to help establish that office.
He speaks English, German, Spanish, Italian and Russian.
- Acting for the sponsor on the first Islamically-financed syndicated leveraged recap in the UAE
- Acting for the equity investors on a USD1bn restructuring and new investment into a regional infrastructure/utility company
- Acting for the sponsors on an AED4bn syndicated Islamic and conventional co-financing for the development of the Midfield Terminal in Abu Dhabi
- Acting for a major UAE-based, global healthcare provider on their debut Syndicated financing (in parallel with its London IPO)
- Acting for a major industrial entity owned by one of the largest family groups in the UAE on their debut European and US-structured TLB financing (the first TLB deal undertaken by a UAE entity)
- Acting for various regional Private Equity houses on acquisition financing as well as GP-level fund-raising
- Acting for a UK plc with headquarters in the UAE on all financing matters
- Acting for one of the largest regional banks on a USD900m syndicated credit facility
- Acting for a regional GRE investment vehicle on real estate and other financings (including on the potential debt financing of the acquisition of a European financial institution)
- Acting for a major regional bank on the financing for the acquisition of a minority interest in a Malaysian financial institution
- Acting for the arrangers on the first leveraged buy-out of a regional insurance company with a listed subsidiary
- Acting for the lenders on a highly structured syndicated margin loan for a regional investor
- Acting for the creditors on the restructuring of various project and other financings (including industrial and satellite projects)
- Article - March 23, 2017 | Alternative Capital Come Calling in the Region
News, Events, & Insights
Rimon Law helps clients to navigate newly opened commerce between the UAE and Israel
News September 15, 2020
Rimon advises Gulf Marine Services PLC (LON: GMS) in cross-border restructuring of Islamic and conventional debt facilities
News July 13, 2020
Rimon Partners Patricia Annino, Andrew Reilly, and Richard Ernest named in Chambers Rankings for Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, and High Net Worth Practices
News July 01, 2020