Practice Groups and Client Sectors:Financial Services, Corporate, Technology, Education, Universities, and Endowments
Areas of Focus:Non-Profit Organizations, Employment Law, Mergers and Acquisitions, Securities and Capital Markets, Emerging Companies and Venture Capital, Cannabis Law
Michael Vargas is an associate in Rimon’s Palo Alto office and a member of the firm’s Corporate practice group. As a member of the Corporate practice group, Michael represents clients in a range of corporate transactions including formation, convertible debt financing, angel financing, venture capital and private equity backed expansion, state and federal securities, employment concerns, and mergers & acquisitions. In this capacity, Michael has represented clients in a variety of industries including robotics, software development, banking, social media, education, and other high technology industries.
Michael also specializes in corporate social responsibility. Michael counsels social entrepreneurs in forming benefit corporations in California, Delaware, and Minnesota, and also represents socially responsible investment funds investing in a new generation of green companies. Michael also supports the expansion of legal expertise in this growing area as a member of the ABA’s Corporate Social Responsibility Task Force.
Michael strongly believes in volunteering his time and expertise. He serves as a supervising attorney at the UC Hastings Legal Garage guiding law students as they represent real entrepreneurs in the high tech and bio-tech industry. Michael also serves as a lecturer at the University of Santa Clara Law School, where he teaches the law of startups. Finally, Michael is committed to promoting progressive legal values through the Bay Area Chapter of the American Constitution Society, serving as the Chair of the organization’s Silicon Valley Committee.
Prior to joining Rimon, Michael served as an intern for Judge Susan Richard Nelson at the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, and then as a Law Clerk in the Minneapolis Area Office of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Co-Author, A Summary of Crowdfunding under the JOBS Act, Lexis Practice Advisor®. April 2017
- Co-Author, Regulation A Plus, Lexis Practice Advisor®. April 2017
- Co-Author, Crowdfunding Intermediaries under the JOBS Act, Lexis Practice Advisor®. April 2017
- Co-Author, Recognizing Social Entrepreneurship: Minnesota Embraces the Public Benefit Corporation, Bench & Bar of Minnesota, Volume 71 (No 8). September 2014
- Two Steps Forward, One Step Back: Comparing Benefit Corporation Laws in Delaware and California, Business Law News (Issue 4, 2013)
- Title VII and the Trans-Inclusive Paradigm, Law & Inequality: A Journey of Law and Practice (Volume 32, 2013)
American Bar Association - Business Law Section (2010 - Present)
- Corporate Social Responsibility Task Force
- Chair, Social Entrepreneurship Subcommittee
- Corporate Governance Committee
- Governance of Social Benefit Entities Subcommittee
- Sustainability and Governance Subcommittee
- Private Equity & Venture Capital Committee
- Mergers & Acquisitions Committee
- Diversity & Inclusion Committee
American Constitution Society (2010 - Present)
- Bay Area Lawyers Chapter Board of Directors
- Chair, South Bay Committee
- Programming Committee
- Gala Committee
- New Generation Leader
University of California, Hastings School of Law
- Supervising Attorney, Startup Legal Garage (2014 - Present)
Santa Clara University School of Law
- Lecturer, Startup Law Course (2014 - Present)
- Represented a national investment bank serving as lead underwriter for the initial public offering of a finance company.
- Represented an education startup in formation and early-stage finance, followed by a conversion to a Delaware Public Benefit Corporation.
- Represented a software startup launching a product with medical applications in negotiations to conduct a pilot program in a Hospital, followed by a convertible debt round financing.
- Represented a software company launching a revolutionary 3D imaging application in a $5 million dollar Series A round financing.
- Represented a robotics company in a multi-million dollar acquisition by a large e-commerce company.
- Represented a socially responsible investment fund participating in a Series A-1 round investment in a green agriculture company.
News, Events, & Insights
Rimon Associate Michael Vargas honored in the Silicon Valley Business Journal’s 40 under 40 awards
News August 11, 2020
12 Rimon attorneys across six offices named Super Lawyers, again
News April 08, 2020
- Software licensing
- Rimon’s Complimentary CLE Webinar Series 2020
Rimon Associate Michael Vargas honored in the 2020 LGBT Bar Award: Best 40 LGBTQ+ Lawyers Under 40
News March 09, 2020
Five Rimon Attorneys Named San Francisco Super Lawyers, Again
News March 01, 2019