Practice Groups and Client Sectors:Litigation, White Collar, Regulatory, and Government Investigations
Areas of Focus:Commercial Litigation
Keith Munson is a Partner in the firm's Litigation practice. As a trial attorney for more than 30 years, Mr. Munson has experience in complex litigation, including: product/mass tort defense, business litigation, class action litigation, intellectual property, and directors and officers (D&O) liability/fraud. He has litigated cases involving medical devices, pharmaceuticals, construction/advanced materials (including military and aviation), consumer appliances, and flammability issues. Mr. Munson also litigates D&O cases involving public and private corporations and counsels corporations and agencies on navigating board governance and compliance issues.
Mr. Munson serves on multiple boards and is a member of the National Association of Corporate Directors, which brings a corporate perspective to his practice. Prior to his time in private practice, Mr. Munson served as a military and federal prosecutor for the United States Army 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized). He served as an operational law officer throughout Desert Storm, where he earned the Meritorious Service and Kuwait Liberation Medals.
- Board of Directors, South Carolina Trial Defense Attorney’s Association (SCDTAA)
- South Carolina Lottery Commission (2013-Present)
- Member/Spokesperson for Governor Mark Sanford’s eight member Transition Team (2002-2003)
- Member of the South Carolina Gubernatorial Inaugural Committee (2007)
- Board Member/SC Research Universities Centers of Economic Excellence (2008-2013)
- Board of Directors of the South Carolina Public Service Authority (Santee Cooper), (2003-2005)
- Board of Directors of the Upstate Alliance, (10 County Economic Development Organization), (2005-2015)
- Diversity Leadership Academy Graduate (Furman University’s Riley Institute)
- Lead trial counsel in obtaining defense judgment for Dublin based Fortunes Global 500 medical device and technology company in the first human bone allograft recall case to go to trial.
- Jurisdictional litigation counsel for Fortunes 500 commercial real estate services and investment firm doing business with 90 of the Fortune 100 companies around the world.
- Lead trial counsel in establishing Class III medical device federal preemption in South Carolina for subsidiary of Swiss Fortunes Global 500 company.
- Lead litigation counsel for UK Fortunes 500 pharmaceutical company in reversing federal court order denying dismissal and transfer to the English High Court in multimillion dollar drug production dispute.
- Lead trial/appellate counsel in obtaining and preserving defense verdict for Fortune 500 rail company against claim brought under 45 U.S.C. § 51, et. seq.
- Expert Consultant to the US Attorney’s Office to assist in investigation and preparation of white collar criminal prosecutions for securities fraud and related offenses related to the failed insurance company.