John R. Mussman
Areas of Focus:Consumer and Commercial Finance, Licensing, Compliance
John Mussman is a leading banking and financial services lawyer.
Mr. Mussman represents banks, mortgage lender, and other financial services providers, focusing on banking and commercial and consumer credit law. He also represents bank affiliates and non-bank players in the commercial and consumer credit space.
His work includes managing regulatory projects for banks, mortgage companies, finance companies and credit card banks, assisting in the development of electronic banking and other financial products, and representing domestic and foreign financial institutions in complying with federal and state regulatory and licensing requirements. He also drafts and negotiates credit card and merchant agreements with banks and card companies for hotels and other nonbank clients.
Previously to joining Rimon, he worked at Reed Smith.
Prior to law school, Mr. Mussman worked for three years as a research assistant and legislative assistant for United States Senator Edward Zorinsky (D. Nebraska).
Mr. Mussman received his J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School and his B.A. from Kalamazoo College.
Mr. Mussman has received recognition from numerous publications and ranking agencies, including Chambers USA and Chicago’s Best Lawyers®. He has also been recognized by the Chicago Tribune, 2017, in the Best Lawyers in Illinois section in several editions.
- October 2008. Seventh Circuit Rejects Class Action for TILA Violation Right of Rescission. Financial Institutions Newsletter
- September 2007. Investment in Indian Country: How Investments in Tribal Infrastructure and Other Tribal Projects May Qualify for Community Reinvestment Act Credit
- July 2007. Preemption of State Mortgage Banking Regulations for Operating Subsidiaries of National Banks. Financial Institutions Newsletter
- February 2007. Illinois Governor Suspends Predatory Lending Pilot Program. Financial Institutions Newsletter
- February 2007. FDIC Issues Supervisory Policy on Predatory Lending. Financial Institutions Newsletter
- November 8, 2017. Cast A Long Shadow: The Continued Impact of the “Robust Causality” requirement in Inclusive Communities and the “Concrete Injury” Analysis in Spokeo. A discussion of the recent case law addressing doctrines developed by the United States Supreme Court in 2015 and 2016. Oral Presentation to the Chicago Bar Association Financial Institutions Committee.
- August 3, 2017. Where there is Smoke, there are Mirrors: Misdirection and the Application of Sleight of Hand Principals to the Pursuit of Shiny Objects in Politics. Oral Presentation to the Rotary Club of the Chicago Financial District
- February 10, 2016. Conference on Recent Developments in Fair Lending. Chicago Bar Association, Financial Institutions Committee.
- October 14, 2010. National Association of Federal Credit Unions Regulatory Compliance Seminar: "House of Cards: The Credit Card Act/Where Are We and Where Are We Going?"
News, Events, & Insights
CFPB Director Cordray Announces Resignation
Insights November 15, 2017
Cast A Long Shadow: The Continued Impact of the “Robust Causality” requirement in Inclusive Communities and the “Concrete Injury” Analysis in Spokeo
Events Nov 08, 2017
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Arbitration Rule Overturned by Senate Action
Insights November 01, 2017
Rimon Wins Six ACQ5 Global Awards, 2017
News August 11, 2017
Partner John Mussman served as a silver sponsor of the 2017 Heroes Curing Childhood Cancer Gala
Events Feb 25, 2017
New California Finance Lender Licensing and Residential Mortgage Lending Act Regulations Effective September 28, 2016: Financial Institution Subsidiaries and Affiliates Now Subject to Licensure!
Insights September 07, 2016