John R. Mussman
Areas of Focus:Consumer and Commercial Finance, Licensing, Compliance
John Mussman is a leading banking and financial services lawyer.
Mr. Mussman represents banks, mortgage lenders, and other financial services providers, focusing on banking and commercial and consumer credit law. He also represents bank affiliates and non-bank players in the commercial and consumer credit space.
His work includes managing regulatory projects for banks, mortgage companies, finance companies and credit card banks, assisting in the development of electronic banking and other financial products, and representing domestic and foreign financial institutions in complying with federal and state regulatory and licensing requirements. He also drafts and negotiates credit card and merchant agreements with banks and card companies for hotels and other nonbank clients.
Prior to law school, Mr. Mussman worked for three years as a research assistant and legislative assistant in the Washington office of United States Senator Edward Zorinsky (D. Nebraska).
Mr. Mussman received his J.D. (cum laude) from the University of Michigan Law School and his B.A. (cum laude) from Kalamazoo College.
Mr. Mussman has received recognition from numerous publications and ranking agencies, including Chicago’s Best Lawyers®. He has also been recognized by the Chicago Tribune, 2017, in the Best Lawyers in Illinois section in several editions and by Finance Monthly Global Awards 2017.
- October 2008. Seventh Circuit Rejects Class Action for TILA Violation Right of Rescission. Financial Institutions Newsletter
- September 2007. Investment in Indian Country: How Investments in Tribal Infrastructure and Other Tribal Projects May Qualify for Community Reinvestment Act Credit
- July 2007. Preemption of State Mortgage Banking Regulations for Operating Subsidiaries of National Banks. Financial Institutions Newsletter
- February 2007. Illinois Governor Suspends Predatory Lending Pilot Program. Financial Institutions Newsletter
- February 2007. FDIC Issues Supervisory Policy on Predatory Lending. Financial Institutions Newsletter
- December 12, 2018. Privacy Development; New Statutory and Regulatory Requirements for Banks and other Financial Institutions. The Chicago Bar Association Financial Institutions Committee.
- November 14, 2018. Fair Lending: Enforcement, Audits, and New Frontiers. The Chicago Bar Association Financial Institutions Committee.
- October 30, 2018. Eager for Regulatory Reform: An Update on the Economic Growth Act Implementation. Illinois Bankers, Fall Compliance Conference.
- October 10, 2018. Case Studies for Professional Responsibility: Inclusion and Diversity. The Chicago Bar Association Financial Institutions Committee.
- April 26, 2018. Ten Questions: Case Studies for Professional Responsibility. The Chicago Bar Association, Financial Institutions Committee.
- November 8, 2017. Cast A Long Shadow: The Continued Impact of the “Robust Causality” requirement in Inclusive Communities and the “Concrete Injury” Analysis in Spokeo. A discussion of the recent case law addressing doctrines developed by the United States Supreme Court in 2015 and 2016. The Chicago Bar Association Financial Institutions Committee.
- August 3, 2017. Where there is Smoke, there are Mirrors: Misdirection and the Application of Sleight of Hand Principals to the Pursuit of Shiny Objects in Politics. The Rotary Club of the Chicago Financial District.
- February 10, 2016. Recent Developments in Fair Lending. The Chicago Bar Association, Financial Institutions Committee.
- October 14, 2010. "House of Cards: The Credit Card Act/Where Are We and Where Are We Going?." National Association of Federal Credit Unions Regulatory Compliance.
News, Events, & Insights
The Chicago Bar Association Committee Meeting
Events Oct 10, 2018
OCC to Accept Special Purpose National Bank Charter Applications for Fintech Companies
Insights September 05, 2018
Rimon Partners in Six States and in Israel listed in Best Lawyers® Again
News August 15, 2018
Rimon’s John Mussman Appointed Chair of the Chicago Bar Association Financial Institutions Committee
News June 13, 2018
Ten Questions: Case Studies for Professional Responsibility
Insights April 26, 2018
D.C. Court of Appeals Upholds Constitutionality of CFPB Single-Director Structure
Insights February 01, 2018