Joe Rosenbaum is a New York‐based partner at Rimon, P.C. and Chair of Rimon’s Global Alliance. Rimon is an innovative and highly selective entrepreneurial firm that combines dynamic client service, teamwork, the agility of a high‐end boutique law firm and the deep multidisciplinary experience of a large global firm. Prior to private practice, Joe served for 17 years as an in‐house lawyer for American Express, including 4 years in Toronto as Vice President & General Counsel of Amex Canada. Joe is an internationally recognized, highly valued multi‐disciplinary corporate‐commercial lawyer, known for his strategic, legal, regulatory and policy guidance, as well as his legal skills and judgment. As a trusted advisor to senior executives, Joe has also negotiated executive and board level agreements and is routinely sought out by senior management and board members for advice and counsel regarding strategic plans, revenue growth, product and business development, nationally and globally.
Throughout his career, Joe has worked collaboratively with clients around the globe across the full spectrum of national and international commercial transactions in virtually every industry, notably media, entertainment, advertising, marketing, public relations, celebrity and expert endorsements, financial services and payment systems, travel and leisure, online gaming, technology (digital and mobile), restaurant and food service companies, outsourcing and procurement, among others. Joe is a recognized leader and his extraordinary background and experience enables him to apply traditional legal principles to today’s technology and social media platforms, e/m‐commerce, and all forms of digital and mobile applications, taking into account privacy, data protection, cybersecurity, crisis, fraud and risk management and compliance. In addition to his commercial‐transactional practice, his work routinely requires him to advise clients on sensitive matters involving brand and reputation management, rights of privacy and publicity, data protection, cybersecurity, compliance. With his colleagues at Rimon Law and a global network of professionals built through almost four decades of practice, Joe has the ability to get high quality, cost‐effective service and provide clients with the resources they need, anywhere and anytime.
Joe is a dynamic and thought provoking speaker at conferences, programs and client seminars, and has authored books, seminal legal articles, has served as editor of the U.S. Advertising, Media, Sports and Entertainment newsletter of the International Law Office and is the founder, editor and primary author of Legal Bytes, a digital blog (www.LegalBytes.com) that originally appeared in print in 1996 and which continues to win praise for entertaining, timely and enlightening content. Joe has co‐authored or served as contributor to numerous publications covering a wide range of topics, including privacy and data protection; cybersecurity; cloud computing; outsourcing; industrial espionage; e‐commerce and payment systems; tele‐medicine; and crowd funding in film finance. He is a credited co‐author of the Handbook on Global Social Media Law for Business Lawyers, published by the American Bar Association and his work has been cited by law reviews, industry periodicals and courts. His articles have appeared in the National Law Journal, New York Law Journal, Euromoney and other major publications and his work includes numerous scholarly law journal and law review articles. Joe has been interviewed or appeared as a commentator in respected media, including CNBC’s Squawkbox, CNNFinancial’s Business Unusual, Advertising Age, American Banker, BNA Bloomberg, National Public Radio, The Wall Street Journal Online, Forbes.com, CFO Magazine and MediaPost Online.
The Legal 500 U.S. Edition and other independent services consistently honor Joe and his team, often referred to by name and “praised for ‘great work on a consistent basis’, singled out for being on the cutting edge and his “[group’s] willingness to advise and share knowledge with the advertising community as a whole.” The Legal 500 has also praised the ahead‐of‐the‐curve engagements around online and social media, “on‐line gaming, e‐commerce, and behavioral advertising.” Joe is regularly recognized as one of New York’s SuperLawyers and consistently in a select group recommended in areas ranging from advertising, sports, entertainment and media to digital and mobile technology and e‐commerce. Joe is repeatedly listed as one of the top attorneys in the world in the biannual Guide to the World’s Leading Technology, Media and Telecommunications Lawyers – again in the 2019 edition.
Joe’s career has included leading industry positions, having served as outside General Counsel, Corporate Secretary, board member and advisor to such prestigious industry associations such as the Interactive Advertising Bureau, the Association of National Advertisers, the Advertising Research Foundation and the Association of Hispanic Advertising Agencies (AHAA). Joe holds positions as outside Corporate Secretary & General Counsel to numerous private companies and serves as outside General Counsel to AMIN (Advertising and Marketing Independent Network), a membership association of independently owned advertising agencies. Joe currently serves on the Advisory Board of the Center for Law, Science and Innovation at the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law in Arizona, as well as the Innovation Center for Law and Technology at New York Law School in New York. Joe has served as Council Member of the Science & Technology Section of the American Bar Association and for many years as a member of the National Conference of Lawyers and Scientists based in Washington, DC. Joe also served as a member and Chairman of the Award Selection Panel of the Committee on Scientific Freedom and Responsibility of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and continues to serve on numerous advisory boards, workshops and projects for both private‐commercial organizations, as well as NGOs.
Positions & Publications
Joe Rosenbaum is the founder and Chair of the Rimon Global Alliance, a non-exclusive, professional network of lawyers around the world, enabling Rimon to service and serve clients seamlessly and effectively around the world. While each Alliance member is completely independent, each has committed to the values, the service quality and professionalism that are hallmarks of Rimon’s approach to client relationships.
Joe has served as outside General Counsel, member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee member and legal liaison to industry and bar associations, committees and academic institutions such as the Association of National Advertisers, the Interactive Advertising Bureau, the Advertising Research Foundation and the Association of Hispanic Advertising Agencies. Joe also serves on the Advisory Board and Executive Committee of the Board of the Center for Law, Science and Innovation at the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law in Arizona and at the Center for Technology and Media Law at New York Law School in New York City.
Joe has served as a member of the National Conference of Lawyers and Scientists and Chair of the Award Selection Panel of the Committee on Scientific Freedom and Responsibility of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Joe is also a past Council Member of the American Bar Association’s Section of Science and Technology and prior to joining Rimon, for many years Joe chaired and co-chaired the global Advertising Technology, Entertainment & Media Law practice at Reed Smith.
Soon after entering private practice, Joe launched Legal Bytes, in print since 1996. Legal Bytes became a digital blog in 2009 and continues to win praise for its timely, entertaining and enlightening content, including multiple listings in the Best in Law Blogs on LexBlog Network’s “Real Lawyers Have Blogs.”
For many years, Joe served as editor of the U.S. Media and Entertainment newsletter of the International Law Office and his written work includes books (Outsourcing Agreements Line by Line), scholarly law journal (e.g., “Crowd Funding: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Investment Bank”) and law review articles (e.g., “Privacy on the Internet: Whose Information Is It Anyway?”) and numerous thought leadership articles in such periodicals as Euromoney (e.g., “Strategic Alliances in the Global Marketplace”), the National Law Journal, New York Law Journal, and others.
Joe has been interviewed or appeared as a commentator in respected media, including CNBC’s Squawkbox, CNNFinancial’s Business Unusual, Advertising Age, American Banker, BNA Bloomberg, National Public Radio, The Wall Street Journal Online, Forbes.com, CFO Magazine and MediaPost Online and his work has been cited by law reviews, industry periodicals, and courts.
To access Joe’s complete list of publications, click here
Honors & Recognition
- Top Rated Entertainment & Sports Attorney in New York, NY, Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters Corporation), 2006-2007, 2013-2020
- Advertising Technology and Media, The Legal 500 (Legalease Ltd.), 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011
- U.S. Media Law Expert, Best of the Best USA Expert Guide, Euromoney’s Legal Media Group (Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC group), 2008, 2011, 2017 and 2019
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
Joe is a dynamic, thought-provoking speaker at conferences, seminars and client events and continues to teach continuing legal education courses for practicing lawyers. For example:
- “Crisis Management at the Intersection of Marketing, Privacy, Security and Reputation,” CLE Webinar, April 23rd, 2020
- “A Perfect Storm: The Intersection of Fake News, Celebrity Endorsements & Social Media” Presenter at Lawline Live Webinar. July 25, 2018
- “Augmented, Native and Interactive: The New World of Digital & Mobil Advertising.” Presenter at Lawline Live Webinar. December 8, 2017
- “Online & Mobile Digital Interactive Advertising: Video Games, Branded Entertainment, Native Advertising and Beyond.” Presenter at Lawline Live Webinar. December 8, 2017
- “Missing Children – Missing Opportunities: Legal Obstacles in Our DNA.” Keynote speaker at APCD Conference, missing children and genetic identity. May 2017, Lisbon, Portugal.
- “Online & Mobile Digital Interactive Advertising: Video Games, Branded Entertainment, Native Advertising & Beyond.” Lawlines CLE Seminars/Webinars, December 2015, New York, NY.
- “Social Media, Mobile Marketing and the Law of Promotions.” ALI CLE, American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education, March 2015, New York, NY.
- “Expanding Horizons – Growing Your Business Internationally. What to Know Before You Go.” Grupo Guyacan, Inc. and Venture Forum Puerto Rico and “The Impact of Emerging Technology on the Legal System” (El Impacto de Tecnologías Emergentes en el Sistema Jurídico) at the University of Puerto Rico Law School, September 2012.
- “Emerging Privacy Issues & The Challenge of Globalizing Technology.” Presented at the IAPP Canada Privacy Symposium, Toronto, Ontario Canada, May 10, 2012;
- “Advertising & Marketing in a Digital Age: I Know What You Will Do Next Summer.” AMIN Senior Management Conference, June 2011, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.
- “Marketing to Children in Virtual Worlds: At Play or as Prey?” Virtual Worlds Conference, April 2008, New York, NY.
- “Trust Me. I’m a Satisfied Customer: Using Testimonials and Endorsements in Advertising in the United States & Europe,” University of Limerick, Ireland; July 2009.
To access Joe’s complete list of Presentations & Speaking Engagements, click here
News, Events, & Insights
- Rimon Partner Joe Rosenbaum featured in the Cyberspace Lawyer with article, “Managing Contract Risks & Remedies in a Time of Coronavirus”
COVID-19 Legal Updates July 2, 2020
- 12 Rimon attorneys across six offices named Super Lawyers, again
News April 8, 2020
- Managing Contract Risks & Remedies in a Time of Coronavirus
COVID-19 Legal Updates March 31, 2020
- Crisis Management at the Intersection of Marketing, Privacy, Security and Reputation
Events March 26, 2020
- Rimon’s Complimentary CLE Webinar Series 2020
CLE March 21, 2020
- Rimon Partner Joseph Rosenbaum selected to the 2019 New York Metro Super Lawyers list
News November 7, 2019