Joe Ceccarell's practice focuses in the areas of high stakes, fast-paced complex litigation and business transactions. Joe is a trusted advisor with a demonstrated ability to deliver practical, cost-effective solutions to complex legal challenges. A proven leader on high-performance legal teams, Joe presently serves as general counsel to New York Bay Capital to support the mid-market, investment banker's continued growth on Wall Street as they continue to solidify their niche, focusing on cross-border transactions and capital raising initiatives with Latin America.
Prior to joining New York Bay Capital, Joe established the Ceccarelli Law Group and served as Counsel to Barton LLP beginning in 2017 for the platform, resources and bench strength he needs to support the growing national and cross-border businesses of his clients.
Prior to establishing the Ceccarelli Law Group, Joe was a partner at Wilson Elser where he helped lead the business litigation group for the AmLaw 200 firm. Prior to that, he was the co-founding and managing partner of Ceccarelli Weprin PLLC, a business litigation and transactional boutique firm on Wall Street advising business clients on the many legal issues that arise in domestic and international business operations, including advising clients on day to day business matters to negotiating major contracts.
Joe served as Treasurer and speechwriter for the Honorable David I. Weprin, spanning four consecutive successful election campaigns for Finance Committee Chair of the New York City Council from 2002 through 2009.
Before entering private practice, Joe served as a law clerk to a New York State Supreme Court Justice in New York County, where he was a lead drafter regarding the disposition of over 500 motions before the court and assisted chambers in conducting full civil trials.
- Prosecuting major international commercial arbitration case under the UNCITRAL Rules in Zurich, Switzerland, on behalf of Fortune 50 company in a suit against Malaysia.
- Defending airline in an antitrust suit of first impression and achieving a unanimous affirmance on appeal.
- Prosecuting business tort and contract claims in adversary proceeding on behalf of mid-market New York City business within context of Chapter 11 case in the Southern District of New York against Fortune 50 company resulting in injunctive relief, multimillion-dollar recovery and consent decree.
- Recovering the full amount demanded for breach of chief executive officer's employment contract in a proceeding before the American Arbitration Association.
- Successfully defending $10 million claim by private equity business broker in connection with contemplated reverse merger transaction.
- Representing a major financial institution in prosecuting fraudulent conveyance actions.
- Establishing precedent regarding the defense of 42 U.S.C. § 1983 actions in New York State predicated upon denial of equal protection of the laws.
Real Estate Litigation
- Successfully prosecuting the Freedom of Information Act case under federal law regarding a joint federal and state transportation project, resulting in the disclosures required to commence a subsequent case under NEPA.
- Achieving unanimous reversal on appeal to Appellate Division, First Department from denial by lower court of summary judgment to owner dismissing and discharging multimillion-dollar liens of six contractors and subcontractors under Lien Law § 3.
- Successfully defending leading commercial property owner and manager against declaratory, injunction, and multi-million damage claims alleging discrimination by former employee under American with Disabilities Act and New York Human Rights laws before Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Defeating ground lessor's efforts to block sale of net lease of midtown office building and gain unjust windfall of over $10 million, by delaying and refusing to sign estoppel certificate for closing.
- Successfully defending leading commercial property manager and owner in New York City regarding the right to seek declaratory relief without liability for over $ 1 million in attorneys’ fees under industry standard form of commercial lease after hotly contested litigation.
- Prevailing on bankruptcy appeals in Manhattan Federal Court regarding grounds under which state court receiverships can continue in Bankruptcy Court and commercial leases can be rejected or assumed by a receiver.
- Defeating rent strike in high-rise luxury residential building in Manhattan's Upper East Side, resulting in an unprecedented rent arrears award to developer.
- Representing estate fiduciaries in complex ownership dispute over several million-dollar Soho real estate property in New York State Supreme Court and Surrogate’s Court.
* Rimon Global Alliance
The Rimon Global Alliance consists of highly skilled attorneys and other professionals whom our partners may call upon as independent contractors to our firm for their expertise, capabilities or economy in the service of our clients. They are not employees, partners, or associated in the firm. Biographies of Rimon Global Alliance professionals are presented here solely for the convenience of our clients.