Ignacio M. Alvarez focuses his practice on internal corporate investigations, corporate governance and compliance, civil litigation, regulatory matters, and political advocacy. With more than 25 years of law enforcement practice, Mr. Alvarez has developed a strong reputation in the area of internal investigations, having led successful efforts on behalf of clients throughout Latin America. He has used his broad expertise as an anti-money laundering consultant and counselor to develop various cross-border compliance programs for different-sized enterprises throughout the Americas and the Middle East.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Alvarez holds a senior leadership position in one of the largest police departments in the United States. This status has allowed Mr. Alvarez to develop extensive knowledge in all areas of law enforcement, both in the United States and abroad. Mr. Alvarez has also served as an advisor to the U.S. Department of State on matters involving Latin America. Over the years, he has trained foreign law enforcement officers on a variety of legal, investigative, and management techniques.
Mr. Alvarez is an Adjunct Professor at Florida International University, where he teaches courses in criminal justice. He is also a member of the Justice Advisory Committee at the Miami-Dade College School of Justice.
Born and raised in Miami, Florida, Mr. Alvarez received his law degree from the Shepard Broad Law Center at Nova University. He holds both a bachelor’s and master’s degree from Florida International University.
Mr. Alvarez is fluent in Spanish.
- Co-Author, “Federal law enforcement in Miami Showdown with Trade Based Money Launderers”, April 2015.
- Commentary, “Currency Control Restrictions Create Black Market for U.S Dollars in Latin America”, February 2015.
- Commentary, “Why has Guyana Failed to Pass an Anti-Money Laundering Bill?”, Inter-American Dialogues, March 2014.
- Panelist, "Medical Cannabis Seminar", hosted by MedCan, February 11, 2017, Miami, FL.
- Panelist, “Recent Developments in Anti-Corruption Law and Enforcement”, hosted by Rimon PC, January 2017.
- Panelist, “Money Laundering Vulnerabilities for Attorneys”, hosted by Diaz, Reus and Targ (Dubai), LLP., August 2014.
- Panelist, “Global Law Enforcement Trends in the Precious Metal Industry”, hosted by IPMI, June 2014.
- Panelist, “AML/CFT Employee Training”, hosted by Kaloti Metal’s Miami Office, February 2014.
- Panelist, “Community Policing”, hosted by the Costa Rica National Police, August 2010.
- Panelist, “Switching from Civil Law to an Adjucatory Legal System”, hosted by the Panamanian Government, August 2009.
- Panelist, “Community Policing”, hosted by the Panama National Police, May 2009.
- Panelist, “Problem Solving Through Community Oriented Policing”, hosted by International Summit for Juvenile Crime, located in Belize City, Belize, November 2007.
- Panelist, “Compstat for Managers”, hosted by the Panama National Police, August 2007.
- Panelist, “Community Policing”, hosted by the Panama National Police, March 2007.
- Panelist, “Community Policing”, hosted by the Panama National Police, January 2007.
- Panelist, “Leadership Principles”, hosted by the Panama National Police, November 2006.
Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (2013)
- Co-Chair of the Finance Committee for “The Love Fund, Inc.”, 2015-present (a notfor-profit focused on providing financial help to the families of fallen officers)
- Board Member and General Counsel, Liberty City Advocates, 2014-present (a free legal clinic based in Miami’s Liberty City Neighborhood)
- President’s Council, Florida International University, 2013-2015 (a senior advisory board to the President of Florida International University)
- The Florida Bar
- Police Benevolent Association
- Hispanic Police Officer Association
- Florida Association of Police Attorneys
- FBI-Law Enforcement Executive Development Association
- Miami-Dade County Association of Chiefs of Police
- Member of the alumni associations for Belen Jesuit Preparatory, Florida International University, and Nova Southeastern University
News, Events, & Insights
Laws of Medical Cannabis Seminar in Miami, FL
Events Feb 11, 2017
Miami Partners move receives extensive coverage in the press: Global Banking & Finance Review, Florida Record, Daily Business Review and SunSentinel
News February 03, 2017
Dade County Police Benevolent Association (PBA): “Support Our Police” Ride and Rally Event.
Events Feb 26, 2017
Recent Developments in Anti-Corruption Law and Enforcement - CLE Webinar Recording
Insights February 01, 2017
Prominent International Litigation/White Collar lawyers Ignacio Alvarez and Carlos Gonzalez join Rimon’s Miami office
News January 01, 2017
CLE Webinar - Recent Developments in Anti-Corruption Law and Enforcement
Events Jan 10, 2017