Areas of Focus:Corporate Governance, Intellectual Property Transactions and Due Diligence, Mergers & Acquisitions, Technology Licensing, Startups & Startup Financing, Venture Capital & Angel Financing
Dror Futter focuses his practice on startup companies and their investors, and has worked with a wide range of technology companies. His fifteen years’ experience as in-house counsel includes positions with Vidyo, Inc., a venture-backed videoconferencing company, and New Venture Partners, a venture fund focused on corporate spinouts. Prior to that, Mr. Futter was Counsel to the CIO of Lucent Technologies, as well as supporting parts of its sourcing organization.
Mr. Futter’s practice has three main focus areas:
Mr. Futter has represented companies and venture funds in numerous equity and debt financing rounds, from early “friends and family” and Seed rounds to later-stage mezzanine financings, and has been on both sides of the table in these transactions. On the corporate side, he routinely handles corporate formations, employee equity plans and mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Futter has also been involved in over 40 corporate spinouts and understands the unique concerns of corporate venture investors.
Transactional IT & IP
Mr. Futter represents clients in a broad range of transactions, including: software licenses, SaaS Agreements, outsourcing agreements, development agreements, website terms and conditions, patent licenses, direct and indirect channel distribution agreements, services agreements, manufacturing agreements, and other supply chain agreements.
External General Counsel
As a former General Counsel and the sole attorney at a venture that went from 80 to 300 attorneys during his tenure, Mr. Futter has a deep understanding of the challenges faced by fast-growing companies and the type of business-focused legal counsel they require. In addition, his background allows him to counsel clients on a broad range of subjects without the need to involve other subject-matter experts. As a result, he is exceptionally well suited to serve as an external general counsel for growing companies with sophisticated legal needs that do not have internal counsel.
Prior to joining Rimon, Mr. Futter was a partner at the Newark, NJ-based McCarter & English, law firm where he was part of the Corporate Department and Venture Capital Practice Group.
Mr. Futter is a 1986 magna cum laude graduate of Princeton University and 1989 graduate of Columbia University School of Law. He also earned an Executive MBA in 1999 from the American Electronics Association Executive Institute of Stanford University.
Further to his academic and legal career accomplishments, Mr. Futter is a recognized thought leader in the areas of venture capital and technology transactions. Among other things, he serves on the Model Forms Drafting Group of the National Venture Capital Association and the legal advisory board of the Angel Capital Association. He is also a frequent speaker on venture-related topics for area Meetups and conferences.
In addition, Mr. Futter is an Entrepreneur in Residence at the Stevens Venture Center of the Stevens Institute of Technology.
- Perspective: The Accenture Blockchain Patent JD Supra Perspectives, 10/04/16
- Confronting a Down Round VC Experts Blog, 09/20/16
- Expert View: How to Bubble-Proof Your Venture TechNews - NJ Tech Council, 06/01/16
- How to Prevent Poaching of Your Startup's Employees - JD Supra Dror Futter, 10/26/15
- "Negotiating Enterprise Sales Contracts Is About Choosing Your Battles" by Dror Futter which appeared in Work-Bench.com Work-Bench.com, 10/14/15
- Speaker, “Contract Excellence,” TechXel Stamford Expert Series, 2017
- Panelist, “Entrepreneurs –Are They Wired Differently?” Princeton University Reunions Alumni-Faculty Panel, 2016
- Panelist, “Divvying Up the Pie - Early Stage Start-up Valuation and Distributing Equity,” Princeton University – Office of Technology Licensing, 2016
- Panelist, “5 Ways Successful Businesses Handle Legal Challenges,” JBiz Expo, 2016
- Speaker, “Critical Terms in Sales Agreements,” Cambridge Innovation Center, 2015
- Speaker, “Sales Contract Workshop,” NYC Enterprise Sales Forum, 2015
- Speaker, “eWorkshop: 10 Things Your Startup Attorney Should Tell You,” Princeton University - Keller Center, 2015
- Speaker, “International Sales Agreements,” Boston Chapter of the National Contract Management Association (NCMA), 2015
- Organizer & Speaker, “Before Series A - Convertible Note and Series Seed Funding for Startups,” PLI Webinar, 2014
- Speaker, “Sales Agreements for Startups," Work-Bench, 2014
- Speaker, “5 Things Every Startup Should Know,” NJ Spark Summit, 2014
- Panelist, “Sourcing to the Enterprise,” New York Enterprise Tech MeetUp, 2013
- Speaker, “Top 10 Things Your Startup Attorney Should Tell You,” Princeton Startup Collective, 2013
- Panelist, “Non-Practicing Entities in IP,” NYU Law School, 2013
- Co-Chairman, PLI Seminar on Venture Capital Law, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2004 2002, 2001, Panelist 2011-2017
- Panelist, Mock Term Sheet Negotiation, Venture Association of New Jersey, 2009
- Panelist, “When the Software Police Come Knocking,” Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting, 2007
- Moderator, “AIM Listing,” PLI Webcast, 2007
- Panelist, The Deal - Private Equity Alternative Liquidity Options Symposium, 2004
- Panelist, PLI Seminar on Structuring, Negotiating and Implementing Strategic Alliances, 2003-2005
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
- Model Forms Drafting Group of the National Venture Capital Association
- Legal Advisory Board of the Angel Capital Association
- Entrepreneur in Residence at the Stevens Venture Center of the Stevens Institute of Technology
- Wall Street Blockchain Alliance
News, Events, & Insights
Venture Capital 2017: Nuts and Bolts seminar.
Events Jun 07, 2017
Trade secrets and how they can plunge tech companies into expensive litigation. Mr. Futter for Raconteur
Insights May 10, 2017
Dividing Founders’ Equity and Understanding Venture Compensation. Stevens Institute of Technology, Jersey Innovation Week
Events May 17, 2017
How Companies Work with Start-Up Suppliers and Vendors - ABA Webinar
Events Apr 13, 2017
Venture Capital and Technology Attorney, Dror Futter, joins Rimon as Partner in its New Jersey and New York City offices
News March 15, 2017