Practice Groups and Client Sectors:Transactional Law, International, Private Client, Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation, Real Estate
Areas of Focus:Entertainment / Sports and Recreation Law, Cross-border investment structures and funds, Business and Commercial Litigation, Compliance, Mergers and Acquisitions, Non-Profit Organizations, International Trade, Commercial Transactions, Israel Transactions
Partner Dmitry Kunitsa has more than 25 years of experience of advising clients on doing business in Russia and other countries of Eastern Europe. He regularly handles major real estate development, investment projects, advises on complex M&A transactions, regulatory and compliance matters, and represents clients in courts and commercial arbitration. He has substantial experience working for private clients, not-for-profit organizations and extensive expertise in sports/entertainment, retail and hospitality industries.
Dmitry advises institutional and private investors on structuring and implementing complex, cross-border transactions aimed at the acquisition or disposition of ongoing business and various assets including real estate; represents major Western and Russian companies in wide varieties of commercial transactions in Russia and other jurisdictions with similar legal systems; represents private companies in negotiations with governmental authorities of all levels; assists private companies with all aspects of development and construction of their production facilities in Russia; and provides legal advice on regulatory aspects of commercial and charitable activities in Russia. Prior to joining Rimon Law, Dmitry was a partner in another international law firm and the head of its Russia real estate practice. He is fluent in English and Russian.
SELECT REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE
- Advised a Russian development company on a wide range of matters related to the development of a $1.5 billion sports, entertainment, and commercial complex in the City of Moscow
- Represented major US-based media and entertainment company in connection with coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi and 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia
- Advised a large international religious organization on numerous acquisitions, dispositions, development and construction projects in Russia, on zoning rules and regulations, relations with governmental agencies
- Represented a developer of DIY stores in Kazakhstan in negotiations of exclusive master franchise agreement with EU-based retail giant and formation of a SPV for the project
- Advised one of the world’s largest manufacturer of electric home appliances on several greenfield and brownfield development projects in Russia
- Represented a Japanese heavy machinery manufacturer in negotiations with the government of one of the Russian regions over an investment agreement concerning the development of a manufacturing facility, acquisition of project land plot, negotiations of the general contractor agreement, and documents on financing of the project by international banking institution.
Click here to see more Representative Matters
- Advised global fast food company on various aspects of establishment and implementation of its pioneer regional franchising program in Russia.
- Represented a large Russian real estate development company in commercial arbitration resolved at LCIA in connection with its dispute with a UK-based contractor over termination of contract.
- Advised a major Israeli not-for-profit organization on establishment of its Russian subsidiary and compliance with applicable regulations governing relevant activities.
- Represented private clients in the sale of chain of privately held medical clinics in Russia to major EU-based healthcare company.
- Advised a US-based corporation on establishment of its wholly-owned subsidiaries in Russia and Kazakhstan and various aspects of launching its operations there.
- Represented major international companies doing business in Russia in negotiations over commercial leases of prime office properties.
- Advised one of the largest shipping companies in the world on various aspects of operations of its Russian joint venture, including cartel investigation of its activities by Russian Antitrust Agency.
- Represented Russia’s largest grocery retailer in series of acquisitions of regional chains.
- Advised a private client on formation of multi-jurisdictional corporate structure and cross boarder contractual arrangements aimed at establishment of a joint venture with one of the major European casinos.
- Represented a major Russian commercial bank in negotiations with various federal agencies regarding the proposed sale of a land plot located in London, UK, and owned by the Russian government.
- Advised a leading Russian commercial bank in the complex financing of the sale of real property mortgaged to the bank.
- Represented a Europe-based private investment group in the acquisition of an equity stake in a joint venture for the development of mixed-use commercial property in the City of Sochi, the host of 2014 Winter Olympic Games.
- Advised a major US corporation on a wide range of matters related to the acquisition of development rights for construction of an industrial plant and relevant construction permits.
- Represented several Europe-based investment funds on Russian real estate matters in connection with the refinancing of prior acquisitions in Moscow and St. Petersburg.
- Advised an international project development and investment corporation in connection with the proposed financing of the construction of a mixed-use commercial property in the City of Sochi, including negotiations and discussions with the developer and the Sochi city government on legal aspects of the project.
- Represented a transnational corporation on complex Russian real estate matters including operation of seaport territories and so-called "newly built territories" in connection with the proposed construction of new cargo terminal.
- Advised a major Russian airline in negotiations with regional authorities for the proposed construction of a new airport terminal in Siberia.
- Represented a Russia-based developer in connection with agreements with a UK-based real estate investment fund concerning the investment in, and the joint development of, a 100,000-square-meter warehouse complex in the Moscow region.
- Advised a major Russia-based bank in its investment of more than $100 million in the construction of its headquarters in one of the landmark development projects in Moscow through an agreement on share participation in construction.
- Represented a major Russian investment bank in connection with the innovative acquisition of a controlling interest in a large Russian industrial holding company.
- Advised a major U.S. corporation on the acquisition of development rights, compliance with land use and zoning requirements, construction permits and licenses, and negotiations of the land lease agreement for the purposes of construction of its own manufacturing facility in a Russian province.
- Represented a large privately held U.S. company in selecting a site for the development and construction of its production facility in Russia, including review of several special economic zones (federal and regional), including due diligence of sites; counseling on acquisition techniques, negotiations with local, regional, and federal authorities on land allocation and reclassification; provision of utilities to the site; and preparation of documentation.
- Advised a U.S.-based hospitality management company in negotiating and drafting its management contracts with hotel owners in various Russian cities.
- Represented a UK-based company in the proposed development of a racing track capable of hosting Formula 1 Grand Prix events and a large sports and entertainment complex in Moscow.
- Advised a private investment group from Kazakhstan on a proposed acquisition of rights to a plot of land in the Emirate of Dubai (United Arab Emirates) for further development of mixed-use commercial and residential properties.
- Represented a major U.S. condominium development company in the structuring and formation of a joint venture with a Russian partner for the purposes of development, financing, construction, and management of commercial property in Moscow.
- Advised a U.S. private equity fund in a complex cross-border acquisition of a building located in Moscow and rights to underlying land for the purposes of further development and commercial use.
- Represented a UK-based investment and development company in negotiations regarding acquisition of a Russian legal entity possessing rights to the land in one of the Russian provinces and rights to develop and build a hotel.
- Advised a Russian development company in negotiations with a major international fast food company related to the development of a chain of restaurants in one of the largest Russian cities.
Co-Author, Challenging the Land Use and Development Rules: Legal Grounds and Court Practice, 1/30/2018
Author, Russian Court Terminates Lease Agreement Using “Adhesion” Doctrine, 2/19/2015
- Author, Amendments to Russian Urban Development Code: Clarifications on Tort Liability, 5/1/2013
- Author, Amendments to Russian Civil Code Related to Immovable Property, 1/31/2013
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Best Lawyers, Russia (2020)
Ranked, Chambers Europe: Europe's Leading Lawyers for Business (2017)
Listed, PLC Which Lawyer? (2009)
Listed, Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Real Estate Lawyers
Listed, The Legal 500 EMEA (2017)