Dirk Walter Hamann
Practice Groups and Client Sectors:Corporate, FinTech, Cryptocurrencies, and Blockchain, International, Litigation, Real Estate, Technology
Areas of Focus:Africa, Commercial Litigation, Europe, International Transactions, Mergers and Acquisitions, Non-Profit Organizations, Private Investment Funds, Energy Transactions, Environmental, Social and Governance
Dr. Dirk Hamann is one of the most distinctive and experienced lawyers in Germany. Dr. Hamann advises clients across many legal practice areas including corporate, real estate and litigation, making him a “one-stop-shop” for many clients. He represents clients both domestically and internationally in a range of different industries including energy, media and telecommunications, manufacturing, health care, real estate and government/defense. He assists emerging companies in their formation – both in Germany and across borders.
Dr. Hamann also advises companies in relation to sustainability, social impact investment and climate change issues. He is a co-shareholder of an ESG group of companies, United Sustainability Group in Berlin, where he contributes to the development of sustainable real assets investment funds and to strategies on how accounting laws and regulations will have to be modified to support and benefit those companies who transition into more sustainable operations.
Prior to Rimon, Dr. Hamann was a Partner and Head of Energy & Natural Resources at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, and at Herbert Smith Freehills LLP.
- Representation of Swedish state-owned utility group Vattenfall, Stockholm, on its market entry into Germany, acquiring the Hamburg based utility HEW, the majority in the Berlin-based Bewag, indirectly via HEW the East-Germany-based VEAG/Laubag and, eventually, transforming the German group parts in a series of restructuring steps into what is now known as Vattenfall Europe headquartered in Berlin.
- Representation of emerging company BGA Dictum GmbH in the creation of new distribution agreements.
Corporate and Major Projects
- Representation of the Federal Republic of Germany in the defense sector, which involved drafting, negotiating and concluding the national security agreement in large-scale transactions with various renowned companies. Provided advice to Germany in the large aircraft manufacturing sector (in particular in relation to a European large aircraft manufacturer and in the WTO-trade law context supporting Germany in relation to the EU commission and vis-à-vis the USA positioning).
- Advising on important, often billion-Euro volume transactions and projects in the energy and infrastructure sectors on behalf of renowned strategic industrial clients and international financial investors.
- Providing corporate counseling to individual enterprises, the Mittelstand (medium-sized companies often family-owned and often global market leaders in their field of expertise), emerging companies and public bodies or municipalities.
- Representation of Biesterfeld AG on a number of acquisitions, including in a company in Poland, and counseling advice in relation to each of these transactions.
- Representation of KG Deutsche Gasrusswerke GmbH & Co. in relation to the modernization of an existing joint venture agreement.
- Advising a US investment bank on the German banking law regulatory aspects regarding its market entry in Germany/continental Europe.
Environmental, Social and Governance
- Advising associations which service public welfare interests on a pro bono basis, including the Desertec Foundation (on the joint venture formed with a number of renowned large groups of companies which became known for its vision to provide renewable, solar powered energy generation from the deserts in North Africa), and the German Association Club of Rome.
- Advising United Sustainability GmbH in relation to the creation of impact investment funds for renewable energy, clean water, ecosystem restoration and other sustainable infrastructure projects.
- Working with United Sustainability GmbH in relation to modifying accounting standards so that companies will benefit from operating more sustainably.
Litigation and Regulatory
- Representation of clients in corporate litigation, including international and domestic arbitration and court proceedings in the telecommunications, manufacturing and health care industries.
- Advising on an international (ICSID) dispute against Republic of Kosovo.
- Advising non-European investors on the regulatory aspects of the German Foreign Trade Act.
- German Association Club of Rome, Management Board Member
- University of Digital Science in Berlin, Advisory Board Member
- ÖKO-TEST AG, Frankfurt, Chairman of Supervisory Board (held position until August 2020)
Professional Honors & Awards
Harry Westermann Award - University of Münster, 1992