David's practice focuses on the representation of high-growth, venture-backed emerging companies, and the investors who fund and support such companies. He has over twenty years of experience handling corporate formation issues, venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, cross-border transactions, public company securities law, technology licensing transactions and employment and executive compensation matters.
Mr. Lee's practice involves a broad network of entrepreneurs, angel investors, and venture capital firms that are active in developing emerging companies. In addition to leveraging this network for his clients, he has acted as an outside general counsel for many of his company clients. David also has significant experience with cross border transactions involving companies and investors in Asia. His cross border work has included the initial public offering on Nasdaq for Sina, one of the leading Internet and media companies in China, and the recent sale of a start-up to Baidu, the leading Internet search company in China.
Mr. Lee's company clients have been backed by, among others, Accel, Blue Run Ventures, DCM, DFJ, Founder's Fund, Gobi Partners, GSR, Hummer Winblad, Kleiner Perkins, Lightspeed, Matrix, Northern Light, Norwest, Oak Investment Partners, Redpoint, Sequoia, Sierra Ventures, and USVP. Over his career, David has handled hundreds of venture financings for his clients, as well as a significant number of major M&A deals and complex licensing transactions.
- Representation of Foundry Networks, a networking hardware vendor, in its initial public offering.
- Representation of Sina Corporation, a Chinese technology company, in its initial public offering and public offering of convertible bonds.
- Representation of Ramp Networks, a internet security, and broadband access solutions provider, in its initial public offering.
- Representation of Quality Semiconductor, Inc., a semiconductor producer, in its initial public offering.
- Representation of Collagen Corporation/Target Therapeutics, a medical-grade collagen biomaterial producer, in its public offering of convertible debentures.
- Represented underwriters of UBS Securities, a molecular devices corporation, in its initial public offering.
- Represented underwriters of Hambrecht & Quist/Targeted Genetics, an investment bank, in its initial public offering.
- Represented underwriters of BT Alex. Brown/Hiway Technologies, a Service and Solutions company, specializing in the CAD, in its initial public offering.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Representation of Picasa in acquisition by Google.
- Representation of Ramp Networks in acquisition by Nokia
- Representation of Quality Semiconductor in acquisition by IDT, in a stock merger using an S-4 filing.
- Representation of Xylan (seller) in acquisition by Alcatel in a $2 billion cash tender offer.
- Representation of TransMedia Communications in acquisition by Cisco.
- Representation of Integrated Memory Logic in conversion to a Cayman corporation to facilitate a Taiwan IPO.
- Representation of Creative Technology (buyer) in acquisition of Cambridge SoundWorks in a cash tender offer.
- Representation of Digital Media Group in sale of company to VisionChina Media.
- Representation of TrustGo Mobile in sale of company to Baidu.
- Representation of PCH International in acquisition of Lime Labs.
- Representation of Pharmaron in acquisition of Bridge Pharmaceuticals.
- Representation of Flex Electronics in conversion from California corporation to a Cayman corporation.
- Representation of ESS Technology in acquisition of VideoCore Technology, and acquisition of OSEE.
- Representation of Motorola in acquisition of Indala Corporation and acquisition of Lexicus Corporation.
- Representation of ShareVision Technology in acquisition by Creative Technology.
- Representation of IC Works in Sale of foundry to Maxim Integrated.
- Representation of Ardent Communications in acquisition by Cisco in a $156 million stock merger.
- Representation of SKSpruce in acquisition of Planetary Technologies.
Corporate Partnerings/Joint Ventures/Licensing Agreements
- Representation of Baynote in SAAS agreements with key customers
- Representation of Azingo in License and services agreement with Motorola.
- Representation of Ramp Networks in Equity investment and OEM agreement with Compaq.
- Representation of Motorola in Equity investment and OEM agreement with MCSI; corporate partnering with RadioMail.
- Representation of Marvell Semiconductor in Foundry agreements with TSMC and Chartered Semiconductor.
- Representation of Creative Technology in Software license agreement with Tumbleweed.
- Representation of Ardent Communications in Software license agreements with Cisco and Telogy.
- Representation of ESS Technology in License Agreement with 8x8, Inc.; license agreement with 3DO.
- Representation of Silk Software in Software license agreement with large supermarket chain
Venture Capital Financings
- Represented hundreds of venture capital financings, involving top US and international venture capital firms such as Founders Fund, Sequoia Capital, NEA, Lightspeed, Norwest, Redpoint, USVP, BRV, Temasek, Venrock Associates, Accel, DFJ, Oak Investment Partners, Mayfield, Northern Light, Gobi Partners, GSR, Keytone, and Matrix.
VC Scrutiny Increases with Stock Market Volatility, VLP Speaks Blog, February 2016
VLP Expands Silicon Valley Corporate Practice with Addition of David C. Lee
(Apr 1, 2014)
Mr. Lee is a legal mentor for start-ups at Draper’s Hero City and mentors entrepreneurs at the Sutardja Center at UC Berkeley’s School of Engineering.
News, Events, & Insights
Rimon welcomes David Lee as a Corporate Partner in its Menlo Park office
News September 22, 2020