David Y. Choi, a partner in the Los Angeles and San Francisco offices, is a versatile counsel who offers a wealth of experience in outside general counsel, litigation, and trial services to clients throughout California. Mr. Choi draws from broad experience in litigation and transactions across an array of industries including cannabis, real estate, construction, apparel, technology and other sectors.
Mr. Choi devotes a substantial portion of his practice to serving clients in the cannabis industry. He represents investors and businesses operating along and aside the distribution chain including cultivators, manufacturers, distributors, and retailers of cannabis and cannabis goods, and ancillary businesses such as suppliers of commercial hydroponics equipment.
As a litigator, Mr. Choi is known for his aggressive advocacy. He determines the objectives of his clients and identifies effective solutions to achieve those goals. Mr. Choi has represented clients in a myriad of disputes involving real estate, securities and investments, partnership disputes, intellectual property and other business related transactions.
- Prevailed in a quiet title action involving a commercial property valued in excess of $30 million after substituting into a matter to overcome a preliminary injunction.
- Secured a $1.9 million judgment in favor of a real estate investor against a manager who misappropriated and mismanaged real property assets.
- Obtained a dismissal on a motion to dismiss on behalf of a defendant auditor in a multi-million dollar class-action securities fraud lawsuit.
- Prosecuted a construction defect claim on behalf of a public entity owner against a national contractor and subcontractor involving real property damage in excess of $18 million.
- Secured a dismissal on a motion to quash on behalf of an escrow firm involving a $4 million claim for damages.
- Secured a dismissal on a responsive pleading motion on behalf of a law firm involving a $800,000 claim for damages.
- Defended an architect from a $15 million construction defect claim involving an adaptive reuse of an industrial building.
- Successfully defended a law firm involving a $10 million legal malpractice claim involving alleged lost income and diminution of corporate value of a lending business.
- Represented the seller of a hydroponics business in an acquisition involving the sale of all of the stock of the company in a transaction valued in excess of $30 million.
- Represented the seller of a cannabis cultivation and distribution business in the sale of all of the stock of the business in a transaction valued in excess of $4 million.
- Represented an investor that purchased securities in a licensed cultivator and negotiated the terms of a construction and management agreement.
- “The Buck Stops Here: Liability and Non-Lawyers” (Co-Presenter), Professional Liability Seminar, New York, NY, December 6, 2019
- “Sex, Drugs, and Real Estate” (Co-Presenter), Korean American Real Estate Brokers Association, Los Angeles, CA, April 3, 2019
- “Construction Law 101: Tools to Manage Risk in Employment, Contracts, Insurance, Bonds, and More” (Co-Presenter), Chinese American Construction Professionals, Alhambra, CA, February 20, 2019
- Quoted, “‘Attention needed for renting marijuana businesses'” Korean Real Estate Association Seminar, Korea Daily, April 4, 2019
- Contributor, “USDA Issues Interim Final Rules for Domestic Hemp Production,” Timely Notice, January 21, 2020
- Contributor, “E-Cigarette and Cannabis Industries: Protect the Public and Yourself From Vape-Related Illnesses,” Timely Notice, November 5, 2019
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM) - Cannabis Committee
- State Bar of California