Dale Rieger counsels clients in all aspects of patent portfolio development, particularly in the field of chemistry including pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and polymers. He advises pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies regarding pharmaceutical life cycle management and Hatch-Waxman patent term extensions and litigation. He also advises corporate and venture investors on intellectual property due diligence associated with mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private and public financings, and initial public offerings.
Dale's legal and scientific career has emphasized pharmaceuticals, particularly working with small molecule drugs. He has developed patent portfolios and patent term extensions for numerous approved drugs, including ALUNBRIG®, BRINEURA®, FIRDAPSE®, IDHIFA®, INGREZZA®, ISTODAX®, KUVAN®, NERLYNX®, PALYNZIQ®, POMALYST®, REVLIMID®, THELIN®, and VYNDAQEL®. Prior to his legal career, he worked at Agouron Pharmaceuticals as a senior scientist, at Gensia as a senior research scientist, and at Merck Research Laboratories as a senior research chemist. Dale also has experience in patent portfolio development related to vegetable oil processing for the food industry and polymeric materials for gasoline, oil, and lubricant additives.
Dale is a member of the American Chemical Society.
Representative Matters (prior to joining Rimon)
- Represented BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. in prosecution of patent portfolio directed to antisense oligonucleotide therapeutic agents for treatment of rare genetic diseases, including Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and Becker Muscular Dystrophy.
- Represented Kura Oncology, Inc. in prosecution of patent portfolio directed to use of tipifarnib in treatment of certain squamous cell head and neck cancer patients and certain peripheral T-cell lymphoma patients.
- Represented Puma Biotechnology, Inc. in prosecution of patent portfolio directed to use of neratinib as extended adjuvant therapy for HER2+ breast cancer. Representation included coordination of multiple European and Israeli opposition proceedings to defend such patents.
- January 12, 2012 - The America Invents Act, Jones Day IP Roundtable 2011 Year in Review
- December 6, 2011 - American Conference Institute, Paragraph IV Disputes, Pre-Suit Due Diligence Strategies: The Branded Perspective on Proactively Anticipating Paragraph IV Challenges
- April 23, 2009 - IP Management in Tough Economic Times: Cost-Effective Strategies, Biocom IP Workshop
- March 17, 2009 - Delivering Medicines to the Developing World, Harvard Journal of Law & Technology Symposium 2009
- December 11, 2008 - Japan Pharmaceuticals Roundtable 2008
- May 29, 2008 - FDA Patent-Related Term Extension and its Interface with Regulatory Exclusivity, A Biocom IP Workshop
- May 8, 2008 - Building Your IP Portfolio - Life Sciences, A CONNECT Workshop
- February 2008 - Investment-related Intellectual Property Due Diligence, A CONNECT Workshop
- March 28, 2007 - IP Challenges in Emerging Markets, Regulatory Affairs Professional Society Horizons Conference and Exhibition
- June 2006 - Maximizing Pharmaceutical Patent Life Cycles, Hatch-Waxman, Generic Biologics and The Patent-Regulatory Interface
Professional Honors & Awards
- San Diego Super Lawyers, intellectual property, 2014-18
- IAM Patent 1000 — The World's Leading Patent Professionals, IAM's leading private practice patent professionals, 2014-2018
- Daily Journal list of "Top 25 IP Portfolio Managers in California", 2009