Carlos F. Gonzalez
Areas of Focus:Business and Commercial Litigation, Complex Litigation, Compliance, Corporate Governance, Emerging Companies, Healthcare, Venture Capital & Angel Financing, Cannabis Law, Latin America and the Caribbean
Mr. Gonzalez is a seasoned trial and appellate lawyer who represents public and private corporations, financial institutions, government entities, and individual clients in white collar criminal matters and select civil matters before state and federal courts across the United States.
Mr. Gonzalez has recently:
- Defended a well-known technology CEO accused of defrauding a multibillion dollar hedge fund.
- Represented a Texas-based rare orchids dealer accused of violating the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.
- Represented a Venezuelan accounting executive charged with fraud in the Districts of Connecticut and the Southern District of New York.
- Defended a prominent Miami businessman charged with acting as the “central banker” for a large, international drug and arms-trafficking conspiracy.
- Represented two brothers accused of healthcare fraud in Florida state and federal courts.
- Defended the son of a well-known Ft. Lauderdale businessman accused of murdering a member of a prominent Key West family.
- Successfully challenged the application of the federal RICO statute to the conduct of a Venezuelan banker which occurred outside of the United States.
- Defeated the Republic of Peru’s attempt to narrowly construe the commercial activities exception to the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act.
Mr. Gonzalez has also led sensitive, internal investigations in the U.S. and abroad, most recently in Dubai, Mexico, Peru, Colombia, and the Dominican Republic. In this capacity, he has:
- Advised a Dubai-based banker accused of money laundering while serving as the vice-president of one of the Middle East’s oldest Islamic banks.
- Investigated allegations of fraud in connection with the sale of investment properties in the Dominican Republic on behalf of several dozen plaintiffs.
- Advised a Dubai-based real-estate developer in connection with claims that he defrauded a member of Dubai’s Royal family.
- Led a team of lawyers and investigators that uncovered a multimillion dollar fraud across three countries within a prominent telecommunications joint venture.
- Managed an internal investigation in Caracas, Venezuela on behalf of a Colombian technology company.
In addition, Mr. Gonzalez is an experienced appellate lawyer who has argued several precedent-setting cases before the United States Courts of Appeals for the Second and Eleventh Circuits and the Florida Supreme Court. He has also served as certiorari-stage counsel before the United States Supreme Court. His published decisions include cases involving the interpretation of various provisions of the U.S. Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, the extraterritorial application of U.S. law, and the interpretation of several criminal statutes.
Mr. Gonzalez has served as an adjunct professor of law at the Florida International University College of Law as well as the Shepard Broad School of Law at Nova University. He is also the founder and executive director of Liberty City Advocates, a free legal clinic based in Miami’s historic Liberty City neighborhood.
He is a frequent speaker and has addressed audiences throughout Latin America and Asia on effective litigation strategies for international disputes, developing multi-jurisdictional compliance programs, and conducting internal investigations.
Born in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, Mr. Gonzalez spent many years living in the Midwest and East Coast before settling in Miami, Florida. Before entering the private practice of law, Mr. Gonzalez served as an Assistant Public Defender in the Miami-Dade County Public Defender’s Office.
Mr. Gonzalez attended Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia where he graduated with degrees in Political Science and Middle Eastern Studies. He received his law degree from Northwestern University’s Pritzker School of Law in Chicago, Illinois, Mr. Gonzalez is fluent in Spanish and Arabic.
- United States of America v. Jesus Manuel Rodriguez, United States District Court, Southern District of Florida, Case No. 15-20708 (represented the CEO of a technology start-up against allegations that he defrauded a hedge fund in connection with a first round capital fundraising campaign; successfully negotiated a reduced sentence).
- Petroleros Mexicanos, et al. v. SK Engineering & Construction Co., Ltd., et al., United States District Court, Southern District of New York, Case No. 12 Civ 9070 (represented Mexico’s largest state-owned oil company in multi-million civil RICO action against a joint venture between Siemens and SK Engineering, a South Korean concern).
- Smith Rocke, Ltd. v. The Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, et al., United States District Court, Southern District of New York, Case No. 12 Civ. 07316 (represented Venezuela’s version of the FDIC in Smith Rocke’s action to collect millions of dollars in Lehman Brothers bonds allegedly expropriated by the defendants in violation of international law).
- Seijas v. The Republic of Argentina, 04 Civ. 400 (TPG), United States District Court, Southern District of New York (successfully represented class of plaintiffs in action to collect on billions of dollars in defaulted global bonds issued by the Republic of Argentina).
- Nelson Mezherane v.Republica Bolivariana de Venezueal, et al., United States Distric Court, Southern District of Florida, Case No. 11 Civ 23983 (successfully represented Venezuela’s FDIC in a multi-count complaint filed by the plaintiff alleging expropriation of assets valued at millions of dollars).
Click here to see more Representative Matters
- Cedeno v. Intech Group, 09 Civ. 9716 (JSR), United States District Court, Southern District of New York (successfully represented Venezuelan banker in connection with lawsuit claiming that he and several top members of Venezuela’s government engaged in a multi-million dollar RICO conspiracy).
- Avitis SAS v. Serden Technologies, Inc., Case No. 10-60062, United States District Court, Southern District of Florida (successfully represented Avitis, a French corporation, in action for injunctive relief for breach of a software distribution agreement governing the sale, distribution, and maintenance of certain software applications throughout Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa).
- In re Empressa Urra S.A. E.S.P. and Deconstruction Technology (advised Deconstruction Technology, an Australian corporation specializing in mine-related construction, in its ongoing contract dispute with a Colombian mining concern).
- Facis S.p.A. v. Ike Behar Int’l, Inc., Case No. 09-civ-2 1029, United States District Court, Southern District of Florida (successfully represented Facis, an Italian garment manufacturer, in its breach of contract action stemming from the sale of designer fabrics in the United States).
- In Re Traffic Sports USA, Inc. v. Federacion Nacional Autonoma de Futbol de Honduras (successfully represented Honduran Nacional Soccer Federation in ad hoc arbitration of a multimillion dollar dispute over certain media rights).
- The Cessna Aircraft Co. v. Avior Technologies, Inc., 990 So. 2d 532 (Fla. 3d DCA 2008) (served as lead appellate counsel for Cessna in its successful challenge to a $5,414,619.00 judgment for breach of contract and various torts).
- In re American Assoc. for Advancement of Science v. Periodicals Publicacoes Tecnicas, 581 F. Supp.2d 1248 (S.D. Fla. 2008) (successfully represented a consortium of academic publishing houses in action arising from the fraudulent sale of scientific journal subscriptions in Brazil, resulting in a seven-figure settlement in favor of the publishers).
- Guevara v. Republic of Peru, 468 F.3d 1289 (11th Cir. 2006) (served as lead appellate counsel on behalf of Jose Guevara in his successful appeal of an order dismissing his multi-million dollar breach of contract action against the Republic of Peru and several former Ministers of the Interior on the basis of sovereign immunity. On remand, Mr. Guevara obtained a $10 million summary judgment against Peru).
- Carlos F. Gonzalez, et al., Resolving International Sports Disputes and the Development of a Lex Sportiva: The Court of Arbitration for Sport, in INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL ARBITRATION PRACTICE IN THE 21ST CENTURY, April 2010.
- Co-author, “U.S. Anti-Money Laundering Laws in the Wake of U.S. v. Santos,” Legal Backgrounder, Washington Legal Foundation, Vol. 24 No. 34, November 6, 2009.
- Commentary, “Are Latin American Attitudes Toward Foreign Banks Changing?” Inter-American Dialogue’s Latin America Advisor – Financial Services, July 23- August 5, 2009.
- Commentary, “Are Governments Winning Against Money Launderers?” InterAmerican Dialogue’s Latin America Advisor, July 27, 2009.
- Co-author, “Green Building Surge in the Middle East Poses Opportunities and Risks for Businesses, Zawya, July 11, 2009.
- Commentary, “Will Obama ’s $100 Million Microfinance Growth Fund Be Effective?” Inter-American Dialogue’s Latin America Advisor-Financial Services, April 30-May13, 2009.
- Co-author, “A Guide To Finding the Right Lawyer,” Banker Middle East, April 2009.
- Co-author, “Surviving the Deal: Managing Legal Risks in the Latin American Marketplace,” Latin American Law & Business Report, June 30, 2008.
- Co-author, “International Anti-Suit Injunctions,” The National Law Journal, February 25, 2008.
- Co-author, “Anti-Suit Injunctions: Protecting U.S. Businesses in Overseas Markets,” Washington Legal Foundation Working Paper Series No. 153, November, 2007.
- Co-author, “Is Corporate Crime Out-of-Style Or Outsourced Overseas?” Daily Business Review, November 9, 2007.
PRESENTATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Panelist, "Medical Cannabis Seminar", hosted by MedCan, February 11, 2017, Miami, FL.
- Presenter, "Changes in U.S. Sanctions, Opportunities and Risks" - CLE Webinar, hosted by Rimon Law, January 2017
- Speaker, “How To Manage International Disputes As An In-House Counsel,” 2009 InHouse Congress, Hosted by Pacific Business Press, November, 2009, Shanghai, China.
- Speaker, “Drafting Effective Arbitration Clauses,” 4th Annual Conference on Dispute Avoidance and Resolution,” Hosted by Lexis-Nexis, September, 2009, Shanghai, China.
- Speaker, “Managing International Legal Disputes,” 4th Annual Conference on Dispute Avoidance and Resolution,” Hosted by Lexis-Nexis, September, 2009, Shanghai, China.
- Panelist, “Drafting Effective Arbitration Clauses,” Opportunities for Sino-Latin American Trade & Investment, Hosted by NEXTSTEP Shanghai, September, 2009, Shanghai, China.
Click here to see more Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, “The Status of International Arbitration,” 3rd Annual Conference on Dispute Avoidance and Resolution,” hosted by Lexis-Nexis, September, 2008, Beijing, China.
- Panelist, Mock International Arbitration, 3rd Annual Conference on Dispute Avoidance and Resolution,” hosted by Lexis-Nexis, September, 2008, Beijing, China.
- Speaker, “Arbitration Versus Litigation: Resolving International Business Disputes,” sponsored by Business Information Asia, April, 2008, Singapore.
- Panelist, “Anti-Suit Injunctions,” Sixth International Litigation and Arbitration Conference, Sponsored by The Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education Committee and the International Litigation and Arbitration Committee of The Florida Bar International Law Section, March, 2008, Miami, Florida.
- Speaker, “Litigating Versus Arbitrating Claims: Opportunities and Limitations,” 3rd Winter Seminar: Claims Management, Torts and Litigation of Claims: Current Developments and the International Context, Sponsored by the Union Internationale Des Avocats, February, 2008, Vail, Colorado.
- Panelist, “Temas de Actualidad Para la Banca Norteamericana e Internacional: Resumen de los Cambios Regulatorios e Impacto de la Reforma Financiera,” Organizado Por FIBA y FELABAN, May, 2011, Madrid, Spain (in Spanish).
- Panelist, “Update on Political Risk When Doing Business in Latin America,” Sponsored by the Association of Bi-National Chambers of Commerce in Florida, March, 2010, Miami, Florida.
- Panelist, “Las Cruces Entre el Lavado de Dinero y los Fraudes Financieros, Esquemas Piramedes, Ponzi y Otros, Las Mejores Practicas y Controles Para Evitar Siendo Victimas,” Prevencion y Mitigacion del Fraude en la Empresa, Marcus Evans Conferences, March, 2010, Mexico City, Mexico (in Spanish).
- Panelist, “The Convergence of Financial Fraud and AML,” 10th Annual FIBA Anti Money Laundering Compliance Conference, February 2010, Miami, Florida.
- Speaker, “Overview of International Trade,” Americas Linkage Conference 2009: Connect to the Global Marketplace, Sponsored by the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, November, 2009, Miami, Florida.
- Moderator, “Nuts and Bolts of Islamic Finance,” American Bar Association, Section of International Law, 2009 Fall Meeting, October, 2009, Miami, Florida.
- Program Chair, “The Future of Microfinance in Latin America and the Caribbean,” American Bar Association, Section of International Law, 2009 Fall Meeting, October, 2009, Miami, Florida.
- Speaker, “Effective Law Firm Management: Lessons from the United States,” Hosted by the Shanghai Bar Association and Jing’An District Bureau of Justice, September, 2009, Shanghai, China.
- Speaker, “Identifying and Managing Fraud, Corruption, and IP Risks in China,” Hosted by Shanghai LuWan District Commerce Commission and Shanghai LuWan District Association of Foreign Invested Enterprises, September, 2009, Shanghai, China.
- Moderator, “Divide and Conquer: The Importance of a Unified Energy Policy for Europe,” European Future Energy Forum, June, 2009, Bilbao, Spain.
- Panelist, “When Your Client or Adversary is Another Country: How to Successfully Sue and Defend Sovereigns,” Seventh International Litigation and Arbitration Conference, Sponsored by The Florida Bar International Law Section and International Litigation and Arbitration Committee of The Florida Bar, March, 2009, Miami, Florida.
- Moderator, “USA Patriot Act y Banca Corresponsal,” IV Congreso Internacional Prevencion Del Lavado De Activos y Delitos, November, 2008, San Jose, Costa Rica (in Spanish).
- Speaker, “Nuevos Metodos y Tecnicas Utilizadas Para El Lavado de Activos,” IV Congreso Internacional Prevencion Del Lavado De Activos y Delitos, November, 2008, San Jose, Costa Rica (in Spanish).
- Panelist, “Conclusiones del Congreso Panel de Expertos,” IV Congreso Internacional Prevencion Del Lavado De Activos y Delitos, November, 2008, San Jose, Costa Rica (in Spanish).
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR OF LAW
- Florida International University College of Law, 2016 – present.
- Shepard Broad Law Center, Nova Southeastern University 2013 - 2015.
- Founder and Executive Director, Liberty City Advocates, 2014-present (founded a free legal clinic based in Miami’s Liberty City Neighborhood)
- Super Lawyers, Florida Super Lawyers Magazine (2013)
- Rising Star, Florida Super Lawyers Magazine (2009, 2011-2012)
- Mover & Shaker, Business Leader Magazine (2009)
- Finalist, South Florida Business Journal’s Key Partner Award (International Law Category) (2009)
- Finalist, Daily Business Review’s Most Effective Lawyer Award (International Law Category) (2007)
News, Events, & Insights
Laws of Medical Cannabis Seminar in Miami, FL
Events Feb 11, 2017
Miami Partners move receives extensive coverage in the press: Global Banking & Finance Review, Florida Record, Daily Business Review and SunSentinel
News February 03, 2017
Dade County Police Benevolent Association (PBA): “Support Our Police” Ride and Rally Event.
Events Feb 26, 2017
Changes in U.S. Sanctions, Opportunities and Risks - CLE Webinar Recording
Insights February 01, 2017
Prominent International Litigation/White Collar lawyers Ignacio Alvarez and Carlos Gonzalez join Rimon’s Miami office
News January 01, 2017
CLE Webinar - Changes in U.S. Sanctions, Opportunities and Risks
Events Jan 12, 2017