Practice Groups and Client Sectors:Corporate, Intellectual Property, International, Litigation, Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation, Technology
Areas of Focus:China, Commercial Litigation, Commercial Transactions, Corporate Governance, Intellectual Property Litigation, Intellectual Property Transactions and Due Diligence, Non-Profit Organizations, Patent Counseling and Prosecution, Startups and Startup Financing, Technology Licensing
Alan Chen’s practice focuses primarily on intellectual property and international commercial litigation. He also litigates and counsels clients in relation to corporate transactions, e-commerce, privacy, franchise, regulatory compliance, and international trade. Mr. Chen represents both domestic and foreign clients in the technology, medical devices, broadcasting, publishing, entertainment, fashion, consumer goods, import/export, and insurance industries.
Before entering the legal field, Mr. Chen served as Executive Director of CAUSE and Vision 21, grassroots community organizations that conducted education and lobbied federal and state legislatures on policy issues involving multilingual government services, voting rights, and minority issues in California.
Currently, Mr. Chen also teaches an LLM course, “comparatively international intellectual property law,” at Southwestern Law School as an adjunct professor.
- On behalf of a technology company and manufacturer in the desktop stationery industry, obtained jury verdict of willful infringement in a patent trial against a nationwide distributor of stationery products.
- Successfully defended an importer of automotive paint gun products on infringement claims relating to design patents and trade dress.
- Successfully defended a group of domestic and international remanufacturers against infringement claims relating to toner cartridge patents and related ITC actions.
- On behalf of a software application service provider, successfully defended and countersued a competitor for copyright infringement relating to software codes, including recovery of our attorney’s fees.
- Multiple litigations successfully defending online retailers against a leading global software company for copyright and trademark infringement claims involving sales of computer operation systems, server and enterprise database management software.
- Successfully defended a leading global retailer in multiple trademark litigations.
- On behalf of a Chinese manufacturer of storage products for one of the largest retailers in the United States, obtained a $4.3 million jury verdict against the plaintiff in an international commercial dispute involving claims for breach of contract.
- On behalf of a large real estate developer, obtained favorable judgment in 5-day bench trial in a commercial dispute relating to management and operation of real estate projects.
- Served as designated technology counsel for the parent corporation of a multi-billion dollar bank to oversee forensic extraction and preservation of 200 terabytes of data from a legacy computer system on a litigation involving one of the largest U.S. bank failures.
- On behalf of an international manufacturer of patient monitoring devices, successfully negotiated a settlement for alleged infringement of a family of patents based on licensing and cross-marketing of complementary products.
- On behalf of numerous clients, negotiated favorable settlement terms on patent infringement claims based upon early discovery on damage issues.
- Served as a global apparel retailer’s e-commerce and regulatory compliance counsel for the U.S. territory; reported directly to the global general counsel and U.S. operations managers on U.S. laws and regulations.
- Significant experience working with China- and Taiwan-based companies on (1) litigation matters involving indemnity, commercial disputes, product liability, jurisdiction, service of process and patent claims involving territorial limitations and conflicting registrations, and (2) transactional matters on licensing, technology transfer, e-commerce, international collections, supplier agreements, and IP enforcement.
Honors & Achievements
- Selectee, Southern California Super Lawyers®, for Intellectual Property Litigation (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)
- Selectee, Southern California Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars (2009, 2010, 2011, 2013)
- President, Chinese Club of San Marino (2018)
- Board Member and current president, Taiwanese American Lawyers Association (2005-present)
- Board Member and General Counsel, Chinese Chamber of Commerce, Los Angeles, (2019 – present)
- Advisory Council Member, Asian Pacific American Legal Center (2005-2013)
- Web Editor, American Bar Association, First Amendment & Media Litigation Committee (2007–2010)
Panels & Speaking Engagements
- Adjunct Professor, Comparative International Intellectual Property Law, Southwestern Law School
- Panelist, Audit Response and Opinion Letters, Opinions Committee, Zuber Lawler & Del Duca LLP, January 24, 2019.
- Panelist, IP Protection, 2019 Taiwanese American Lawyers Association Annual Law Day, 2019.
- Panelist, Planning and Managing Cross-Border Litigation,” National Association of Women and Minority Owned Law Firms, February 13, 2017.
- Moderator, Planning and Managing Cross-Border Litigation, 2017 NAMWOLF Business Meeting, February 18, 2017.
- Panelist, Managing Your Intellectual Property, Taiwanese American Lawyers Association Law Seminar, July, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2017.
- Panelist, National and International Patent Law: U.S., Europe, China and Beyond, panelist, 3rd Annual Patent Disputes for Corporate Counsel Forum, Daily Journal and Thomson Reuters,May 20, 2015.
- Panelist, U.S.-China Cross‑Border Business: Safeguarding Your Investments, American Bar Association, Shanghai Bar Association and Los Angeles County Bar Association, May 2, 2014.
- Panelist, Enforcing Intellectual Property Rights Abroad-IP Meets the Pacific Rim: Cross Border Branding in an Era of Multi-Platform Licensing, Privacy and Trade Secrets, ABA Section of International Law and Los Angeles County Bar Association, September 20, 2011.
- Presenter, Common Challenges for Chinese Companies Doing Business in the United States, Chinese Economic Council, August 21, 2010.
- Presenter, Harnessing the Power of Social Media Networking, Fashion Group International, May 28, 2009.