Rimon, P.C. Adds Cross-Border Transactions Partner Juan Zúñiga in San Diego
June 05, 2013
(San Diego) June 5, 2013 – Rimon, P.C. has added international transactions attorney Juan E. Zúñiga, who has worked on cross-border deals throughout Latin America and in over 60 countries, as a partner in the firm’s new San Diego office. Mr. Zúñiga is joined by his associate, Angela Gonzales.
In five years, Rimon has broadened its reach across twelve locations, and the new real estate practice expands on Rimon's technology, finance, and Fortune 500 practice sectors. Mr. Zúñiga will also join Rimon's international practice group, which includes attorneys John Isaza, Michael Moradzadeh, and Carl Sherer. Rimon has been widely recognized as an innovator in the legal field, offering full service teams of highly-experienced attorneys with the ability to quickly shift and adapt to client needs. In the last six months, the Financial Times recognized Rimon on its list of 'Innovative Law Firms of 2012' and the firm’s managing partners were both named ‘Legal Rebels’ by the American Bar Association Journal.
Mr. Zúñiga joins Rimon from Cross Border Law Group, P.C., a firm Mr. Zúñiga founded in 2007. Mr. Zúñiga’s practice is focused on a wide variety of business transactions, including buying and selling real estate, mergers & acquisitions, overseas distribution agreements, international joint ventures, foreign trade and commerce, workouts of distressed assets, lending and investments issues. He has been particularly sought out for his handling of cross-border transactions, especially in Latin America. In this work, Mr. Zúñiga represents American clients in their investment in overseas properties and in establishing subsidiary operations internationally. Additionally, he represents foreign clients in their investment in American properties. Prior to founding Cross Border Law Group, P.C. Mr. Zuniga was an attorney at both Heller Ehrman and Baker and McKenzie.
“Juan and Angela have created a rare creature – a cross-border transactional practice that keeps costs down for clients. Due to its complexity, cross-border transactional work is frequently an expensive proposition. Many companies and individuals have to shy away from expanding and taking on international work because of the additional legal challenges involved. Juan has shown a deep understanding of what businesses need to do to overcome these hurdles. We are very happy to have both Juan and Angela on our team,” said Michael Moradzadeh, CEO of Rimon, P.C.
“I was looking for a firm that would give my clients the benefits of a big law firm, namely having related matters handled by a team of top attorneys, without the downside of excessively high legal bills. Rimon provides just that solution. In five years, Rimon has built a firm packed with great attorneys in such fields as intellectual property, corporate, M&A and tax. This quality team of attorneys is what my clients need to help their businesses prosper,” said Mr. Zúñiga.
Mr. Zúñiga received his J.D. from Harvard Law School (1992) and his A.B. from Harvard College (1986). Ms. Gonzales received her J.D. from the University of San Diego School of Law (2008) and her B.A. from the University of California at Los Angeles (2005).
Some of Mr. Zúñiga's Notable Projects Include:
• Residential real estate developments in Mexico, structuring, negotiating and documenting joint ventures, land acquisition and title insurance, financing and counseling in tax and land use matters;
• Disposition of assets of Peregrine Remedy, Inc. to BMC Software, Inc. through a $355 million Chapter 11 Bankruptcy of a software company;
• Loan to US-based company for use in construction of Mexican manufacturing facilities secured by Mexican Guaranteed Trust;
• Purchase of publicly trade medical device manufacturer from Utah based seller, including real property;
• Acquisition of $30 million office building in Burbank, California;
• Multi-jurisdictional secured financing project in Latin America, including Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile, and Central American countries, using various security instruments such as pagares (promissory notes), pledges, mortgages, trusts;
• Buyer of luxury hotel and convention center in Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, Mexico for $115 million;
• Multi-million acquisition of package of micro-computer distribution companies in Chile, Brazil, Peru and US. Resolution of multi-jurisdictional issues relating to inter-company loans, foreign exchange, import-export regulations, foreign investment and tax planning;
• Processing of letters rogatory pursuant to Inter-American Treaty on Letters Rogatory from Mexican courts seeking international service of process and enforcement of judgments abroad. Extensive experience in litigation involving international treaties;
• Acquisition of undeveloped property in Bahia de Banderas, Nayarit, Mexico including establishment of 2 stage fideicomiso, negotiation of long-term water rights, development agreements and tax advice;
• General Counsel for the hotel and residential community at El Banco, Nayarit, Mexico;
• Development and ongoing representation of Estrella del Mar Golf and Beach Resort which is made up of 800 acres in Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico with hotel, golf-course, residential and commercial components;
• Creation of fideicomiso for acquisition of over 1,000 hectares in Jalisco, Mexico for $128 million;
• Mezzanine Loan transaction secured by pledge of stock in Mexican company through a guaranty trust;
• Acquisition of 33 hectares of undeveloped ocean front land in Bahia de Banderas, Nayarit, Mexico; and
• Acquisition of hotel and timeshare resort in Loreto Bay, Baja California Sur, Mexico from FONATUR and negotiation with developer partner in joint venture