Universities and Endowments
Rimon advises universities and endowments on the full range of their legal matters. Our University and Endowments practice is multidisciplinary in nature, involving attorneys who regularly counsel clients on not-for-profit status and related issues, tax and corporate matters, filing for and protecting patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets, technology transfers, labor and employment matters, litigation and dispute resolution, and investment management and related issues.
We have represented some of the United States’ largest public and private universities, as well as their endowments and supporting foundations. The experiences of our University and Endowments team include serving as president of a major university, serving on the boards of colleges, universities and their foundations, and working as partners at some of the United States’ largest law firms.
Each member of our team is committed to Rimon’s philosophy of responsiveness and efficiency. That means that the lawyer you hire will be the lawyer who is working for you -- not a staff of mid-level lawyers. We invite you to learn more about our specialties below.
Related Practice Areas
+ Click on any of the areas below to expand
- COBRA continuation
- HIPAA privacy
- Withdrawal liability
- 401(k) plans
- Union contract negotiations
- Cash balance plans;
- Disability plans
- Life Insurance
- Counsel top-level executives in the negotiation and documentation of their compensation and benefit agreements
- Taft-Hartley and governmental plans
- Post-retirement compensation
- Health care arrangements (health, dental, vision and nursing plans)
- Designing and documenting compensation arrangements that may include: stock options, phantom stock and other equity and non-equity elements
- Analysis of investment decisions in conjunction with their investment advisors
- Legal Counsel on:
- Cash Salary & Bonuses
- Incentive Stock Options
- Non-qualified Stock Options
- Restricted Stock Plans
- Phantom Stock Agreements
- Limitations on Tax-Qualified Plans
- Creative Deferred Compensation Plans
- Supplemental Executive Retirement Plans (SERPs)
- Employment Benefits
- Employment Contracts
- Golden Parachutes
- Negotiated Severances
- Executive employment agreements
- Incentive compensation arrangements
- Deferred Compensation
- Employment Disputes & Litigation
- Restrictive covenants and non-competition agreements
- Enforcement of Non-Compete & Confidentiality Agreements
- Separation agreements
- Advice & Counseling
- Employee Compensation
- Benefit Plans & Arrangements
- Compensation Negotiation & Documentation
- Competitive market position
- Corporate whistleblowing
- Corporate governance and shareholder-related matters
- Cross-Border Employment Law Issues
- Discrimination, Harassment & Retaliation
- ERISA & Benefits Litigation
- Executive Compensation
- Financial Reporting
- Public Disclosure
- Retention Concerns and Succession Planning
- Securities Law Compliance
- Traditional Labor Law
- Gift tax minimization through GRATs, family limited partnerships and other structures
- Dynasty trust planning to avoid estate tax in successive generations
- Income tax minimization through charitable remainder trusts and direct gifts to private family foundations
- Preparation of estate tax returns and gift tax returns
- Crisis Management
- Information Governance & E-Discovery Preparedness
- Preventive Compliance
Rimon’s Financial Services practice represents investment advisers and other asset managers ranging from boutique firms to global financial services companies.
We counsel investment advisers and other asset managers on a range of matters, including:
- Registration as an investment adviser with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and as a commodity pool operator (CPO) and commodity trading adviser (CTA) with the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) as well as advice on available exclusions from such registrations.
- Negotiation of key service provider arrangements, including investment management agreements for ERISA and non-ERISA clients, sub-advisory agreements, custody agreements, administration agreements and brokerage and trading agreements.
- Regulatory compliance issues, including preparation and review of compliance policies and procedures to address new regulations and assistance with internal and regulatory audits and examinations.
- Third-party solicitation arrangements.
- Records and information management.
We also counsel financial industry participants on general corporate matters, combining our knowledge of the unique regulatory issues affecting financial services industry clients with the expertise of attorneys in Rimon’s other practice areas, including:
- Litigation and arbitration relating to alleged securities fraud and regulatory violations and employment matters.
- Design and implementation of management company structures, including arrangements among principals, employee incentive compensation programs and retention matters and related tax matters.
- Acquisitions and sales of investment advisory firms.
- Employment disputes between financial services firms and their employees.
- Orphan pension plans and escheatment issues.
- Charitable Giving
- Finance – Endowments & Investments
- Nonprofit Governance Matters
- Nonprofit Tax Matters
- Program Related Investment (PRI)
- Formation of Private Foundations
- Advising Board Members & Officers of Public Charities
- Advising Board Members & Officers of Private Foundations
- Tax compliance for Private Foundations & Public Charities
Rimon advises sponsors of private investment funds across a wide spectrum of asset classes, investment strategies and delivery vehicles, including:
- Hedge funds that engage in long short, global macro, event-driven, multi-strategy, market neutral, relative value and commodities strategies.
- Private equity funds.
- Funds of funds and master feeder funds.
- Venture capital funds.
- Leveraged buyout funds.
- Real estate funds.
- Charitable funds.
- Family office funds.
- Special purpose investment vehicles.
We counsel private fund sponsors on structuring, operational and distribution matters, including:
- Conditions to the availability of exclusions from the 1940 Act.
- Application of ERISA's plan assets regulation to various fund structures.
- ERISA issues related to seeding investment funds with employer 401(k) and IRA accounts.
- Negotiation of key service provider agreements, including advisory agreements, administration agreements, custody agreements; prime brokerage agreements and placement agency agreements.
We partner closely with local counsel in offshore jurisdictions to ensure efficient and well-coordinated new fund launches.
- Beta/Demo/Evaluation Agreements
- Distribution Agreements
- Co-branding/Brand Licensing
- Consortium Agreements
- Counseling Agreements
- Cross-border Technology Agreements
- Hardware Agreements
- Hosting Agreements
- IP Asset Valuation
- Software Licensing/Maintenance Agreements
- Source Code Escrow Arrangements
- Sponsored Research & Development Agreements
- Joint IP Development & Cross-Licensing
- IP Licensing Agreements and Negotiations
Attorneys in Rimon’s Universities and Endowments Team
Moshe Mark Feldman
International, Tax, Universities and Endowments
Mark H. Mirkin
Corporate, Technology, Intellectual Property, Universities and Endowments
Financial Services, Corporate, Technology, Universities and Endowments
Financial Services, Litigation, Technology, Universities and Endowments, Private Client
Samuel (Sandy) B. Sterrett, Jr.
Corporate, Intellectual Property, International, Telecommunications, Technology, Universities and Endowments
Stephen Joel Trachtenberg
International, Litigation, Corporate, Universities and Endowments
Financial Services, Corporate, Technology, Universities and Endowments
Thomas M. White
Tax, Financial Services, Corporate, Technology, Universities and Endowments, Private Client
Real Estate, Corporate, Restructuring, Technology, Universities and Endowments, International