Rimon's team of Life Sciences attorneys have extensive experience working with clients in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and medical device industries. We have represented Life Sciences clients ranging from start-up companies to multinational publicly traded clients in connection with both their corporate and litigation matters. In terms of corporate representation, Rimon counsels and defends Life Science clients in securities offerings (including angel investments, venture financings, private placements, and public offerings), mergers and acquisitions, employment and compensation law, licensing, intellectual property litigation, patent procurement and counseling, and numerous complex corporate transactions. We have also represented both licensees and licensors in technology transfers from universities and research institutions to operating companies.
We also counsel and defend Life Science clients involved in litigation, including pharmaceutical and medical device products liability cases filed in state and federal courts involving claims of defective manufacture and design, and the failure to warn. We have tried these cases to verdict and secured dismissals or summary judgments, and have also resolved them in mediations and arbitrations. We have also served as counsel for our Life Science clients in both coordinated state proceedings and in federal multi-district litigation. We understand the importance of federal law and the applicable FDA regulations regarding drugs and devices, and how these can be used to strengthen our clients’ defense,
Our team's success is built upon a true "client-first" approach, which focuses on working closely with our clients to understand their needs and recognize opportunities in a constantly changing legal and commercial landscape. We also understand that the needs of our Life Sciences clients are multi-faceted. To offer comprehensive service, our Life Sciences Partners collaborate closely with attorneys across the firm to assist our clients, make connections with management and board members, arrange angel and venture capital financing, access capital markets, engage with corporate and university partners, advise on mergers and acquisitions, and protect and monetize their IP. And when our Life Science clients are involved in litigation, we take time at the outset to learn their businesses and understand their products to craft the best defense.
Representative Experience of Rimon Life Sciences Attorneys:
- Represented clients in licensing primary technology from scores of universities and research institutions including the Mayo Clinic, Harvard University, the University of Minnesota, the Cleveland Clinic, Duke University, the University of North Carolina, Georgetown University, and the University of Pittsburgh, among others.
- Represented a publicly traded company in the artificial tissue area, and a private heart valve company in its general corporate matters as well as all of its Securities Exchange Act reporting and secondary offerings.
- Provided advice related to licensing transactions and angel and venture financings for clients in the following areas: health and fitness devices, urology, cardiology, healthcare software, and health care exchanges.
- Represented a heart stent company in its formation and unique Series S offering.
- Represented a publicly traded biopharmaceutical company in corporate governance matters as well as various intellectual property and securities matters.
- Represented an interstitial fluid analysis company in a restructuring and recapitalization transaction with a private equity firm.
- Represented a food sensitivity testing, therapy, training, and technology development company in a private equity sale, including extensive preparatory corporate cleanup work in anticipation of due diligence.
- Represented a biotech company in business strategy planning and technology acquisition negotiation with a South American university.
- Comprehensively represented numerous life sciences companies in initial formation, financing, and related corporate, securities, and intellectual property matters.
- Represented multiple clients in negotiations with substantially all of the major medical device companies on product development agreements and services agreements for orthopedic implants, nails, plates, screws, and other products.
- Represented a client in structuring and implementing a multi-prong relationship between a foreign food ingredient business and U.S. food industry.
- Represented a client on various services and supply agreements concerning work on the Poliovirus Antivirals Initiative supported by The Task Force for Global Health (indirectly by the Gates Foundation).
- Represented a charitable foundation on the sale of a bio-manufacturing plant following the favorable resolution of multiple complex federal, state and local government grant, government contract, real estate, environmental, and tax issues.
- Represented a client in negotiations with a university in Texas related to technology for producing proteins in plants for pharmaceutical companies.
- Represented multiple clients on dozens of license, research, and tech transfer agreements with the federal government and universities.
- Represented a start-up biotechnology company in negotiations with NIH over a research agreement, a license agreement, and amendments thereto in relation to molecular diagnostics technology for personalized medicine.
- Represented a publicly traded biotechnology company in negotiations with LabCorp over a license agreement and a related service agreement for an assay designed to predict or determine best therapeutic treatment in oncology and companion diagnostics.
- Represented a client in negotiations with a publicly traded biotechnology company relating to an option agreement to patents, know-how, and regulatory data for certain compounds for the potential treatment of respiratory syncytial virus. Represented same client in negotiations with same biotechnology company for a RSV asset acquisition agreement. Represented same client in negotiations with a specialty pharmaceutical company for a collaboration/joint venture agreement for access to a delivery system (inhaler) for a compound.
- Represented an international joint venture (of three publicly traded companies) in its acquisition of a genomics business, including patents, know-how, databases, and material.
- Represented a client in negotiations for a material transfer agreement and license agreement with Schering-Plough for compounds and related IP rights for use in the development of an orally administered anti-poliovirus therapeutic product.
- Represented a publicly traded biotechnology company in negotiations with Schering for a license and collaboration agreement concerning an assay technology for breast, colon and lung cancer and companion diagnostics.
- Represented a publicly traded biotechnology company in negotiations with Serologicals Corporation (now part of Millipore) on several complicated collaboration and license agreements designed to clarify prior sublicenses, third-party suppliers, bankrupt licensees, cross-licenses, and multiple fields of use.
- Represented a drug manufacturer in the veterinary industry on a supply agreement with a large chain of animal hospitals.
- Represented a consortium of 40 world-class research institutions (mostly in Europe) in negotiations over a consortium agreement for translation research in breast cancer (Trans-BIG) (funded by the European Union).
- Represented a publicly traded biotechnology company in negotiations with Johnson & Johnson (J&J) and Johns Hopkins University (JHU) over multiple agreements and multiple JHU license agreements for diagnostics products and services based on markers (spin-out from J&J). Represented same client in negotiations with J&J for a complicated license and option agreement for diagnostic products and services for prostate cancer.
- Represented a clinical research organization in all aspects of FDA clinical trial matters.
- Represented a pharmacy management company in complex contract matters.
- Represented numerous biotech university spin-outs in early stage venture financing.
- Represented an early stage medical device company launching a line of skin care devices.
- Represented a dental drug and device startup in all corporate and securities matters.
Rimon Attorneys With Expertise in Life Sciences Include:
James C. Chapman
Corporate, International, Technology
Intellectual Property, Litigation, International
Intellectual Property, Litigation, Technology, International
Mark H. Mirkin
Corporate, Technology, Intellectual Property, Universities and Endowments, FinTech, Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain
Financial Services, Corporate, Technology