We specialize in representing U.S. and Latin America-based family offices, high-net-worth individuals, institutional investors, and private and public companies in connection with their activities inbound to and outbound from Latin America, with a focus on U.S.-Latin America cross-border transactions. Many of our attorneys are fully bicultural and bilingual native Spanish speakers with decades of experience working both in Latin America and the United States who provide our clients with the deep insight and local knowledge necessary for success in any evolving marketplace.
Our attorneys have extensive experience advising family offices and high-net-worth individuals on the full range of tax and wealth management-related issues, international tax law, planning, and compliance, inheritance and estate planning, exchange of information, and amnesty programs.
- Representation of a private buyer in the purchase of over 1,000 hectares in Jalisco, Mexico for $128 million using Mexican trust (fideicomiso).
- Representation of various individuals and family offices in the purchase of luxury real estate in Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, and other resort destinations in Mexico.
- Representation of a Mexican family office in its structuring and subsequent investments in a U.S. real estate portfolio, including mixed-use developments in Merced, California; Chevy Chase, Maryland; and multi-family projects in Los Angeles.
- Representation of a client in the complex sale of a cross-border (U.S.-Mexico) business in a stock and asset transaction.
- Representation of a buyer in the purchase of a private residence in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, including in connection with the removal of a cloud on title related to foreclosure litigation instituted against seller.
Our real estate practice is a cornerstone of our work in Latin America and on behalf of Latin American clients. We represent family offices, high-net-worth individuals, and investors in connection with local and cross-border real estate development, including hotel, resort and hospitality projects, investments and divestments, leasing transactions, financings, and joint ventures.
Acquisition, Disposition, and Leasing
- Representation of the buyer of a luxury hotel and convention center in Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, Mexico for $115 million.
- Representation of a buyer in the purchase of a hotel and timeshare resort in Loreto Bay, Baja California Sur, Mexico from FONATUR. Our work included negotiation with the developer partner in a joint venture, and of a mezzanine loan secured by a pledge of stock in a Mexican company through a guaranty trust (fideicomiso en garantÍa).
- Representation of the parent company of a U.S. hotel chain in its purchase of 33 hectares of undeveloped oceanfront land in Bahia de Banderas, Nayarit, Mexico.
- Representation of a buyer in its acquisition of 45 hectares of undeveloped property in Bahia de Banderas, Nayarit, Mexico. Our work included the establishment of a two-stage fideicomiso, the negotiation of long-term water rights and development agreements, and tax advice.
- Representation of a Mexican logistics operator in its acquisition of a 350,000 square foot warehousing facility in an off-balance-sheet finance lease in Tijuana, Mexico.
- Representation of Paladin Realty Partners, an SEC-registered private equity real estate fund manager, in its acquisition of various properties in Mexico for residential development, including negotiation of joint ventures with local developers and acquisition financing with local banks.
- Representation of the developers of residential real estate developments in Mexico. Our work has included structuring, negotiating and documenting joint ventures, advising on land acquisition, title insurance, financing, and counseling in tax and land use matters.
- Representation of the developers in the development and eventual sale of Estrella del Mar Golf and Beach Resort, which is made up of 800 acres in Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico, and which includes hotel, golf course, residential, and commercial components.
- Representation of Venezuelan investors in a vineyard and hospitality project in Temecula, California.
- Acting as General Counsel to the hotel and residential community at El Banco, Nayarit, Mexico. Representative work included: acquisition of land using two-stage trust fideicomiso; securing water rights and permits; subdivision of the project and creation of multiple condominium regimes; negotiation of term sheet and definitive agreements for joint venture development of hotel and residences; and the negotiation of hotel management and development agreements for the resort.
- Representation of a private equity real estate fund manager, as lender, in a series of capital loans totaling over $30 million secured by pledges over ownership interests in various Mexican corporate entities.
- Representation of the lenders in a $40 million credit facility to take out the senior lender and provide working capital for a premier resort in Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, Mexico using a Mexican trust (fideicomiso) and reversionary rights to defer tax exposure.
- Representation of a U.S. bank in connection with a construction loan for financing of Mexican manufacturing facilities secured by a Mexican Guaranteed Trust (fideicomiso).
- Representation of the lender in connection with a loan to a U.S.-based company for use in the construction of Mexican manufacturing facilities secured by a Mexican Guaranteed Trust (fideicomiso en garantÍa).
- Representation of Paladin Realty Partners in the formation of a joint venture for the development of residential and commercial real estate in Mexico City, Queretaro, Tijuana, Monterrey, and Cancun.
- Representation of Paladin Realty Partners in a joint venture and eventual sale of an operating hotel, resort, and golf-course in Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico.
- Documented the dissolution of a joint venture for the development of real estate in Mexico, with the client retaining ownership of residential real estate projects in Tijuana and Rosarito, Mexico.
- Representation of a land and equity investor in Susurros del Corazon resort in Punta Mita, Mexico, in a complex, four-party joint venture. Our work included negotiation and documentation of the joint venture operating agreement, international tax planning, creation of Mexican landholding trusts, entitlement issues including beachfront concessions, negotiation and documentation of construction financing loan and security agreements, and the implementation of a tax-driven debt financing strategy.
Doing Business in the Region
We provide comprehensive counsel for a wide range of transactions. We represent private and public companies as well as investment funds in connection with investments, project financings, mergers and acquisitions, securities transactions, contract negotiations, tax issues, and management of local and international business operations.
- Representation of the world’s largest reseller of microcomputer products in its multi-million dollar acquisition of microcomputer distribution companies in Chile, Brazil, Peru, and the U.S. Our work included resolving multi-jurisdictional issues relating to inter-company loans, foreign exchange, import-export regulations, foreign investment, and tax planning.
- Representation of a biotech company in business strategy planning and a technology acquisition negotiation with a South American university.
- Representation of a Latin American private equity fund in connection with an investment in an energy conglomerate in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Served as U.S. counsel in connection with multiple financing transactions in Latin America, including a $148 million financing of mining equipment; a $30 million construction to term loan financing involving two cold reserve power plants capable of producing approximately sixty megawatts of electricity; and an $11 million financing of a power plant.
- Advised an international lighting technology joint venture in connection with contracting and financing various city lighting projects in Latin America, including the negotiation of long-term financing.
- Representation of the venture capital arm of a leading Latin American publishing company in its investment in a leading publishing company targeting the high-income sector of the Latin American and the U.S. Hispanic markets.
- Representation of a top European bank in its sale of a $175 million portfolio of non-performing Brazilian pre-export loans.
- Set up a tax structure for a U.S. company’s investment and conduct of business in the telecom industry in Argentina.
- Representation of the world’s largest reseller of microcomputer products in multi-jurisdictional secured financing project in Latin America, including Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile, and several additional Central American countries, using various security instruments such as pagares (promissory notes), pledges, mortgages, trusts.
When necessary, we lean on our team of elite litigators to help our clients to resolve their disputes arising from business dealings in Latin America. We have represented private parties, public and private corporations, financial institutions, sovereign states, and public officials in matters ranging from complex civil litigation, internal investigations, and criminal matters to regulatory proceedings before a variety of U.S. agencies. We have appeared before state and federal trial and appellate courts throughout the United States as well as international arbitral tribunals.
- Coordinated a team representing Banco Dominicano del Progreso, S.A. and its shareholders in cases in Florida and the Dominican Republic to recover assets stolen by its former president, including the successful defense of forum non conveniens claim.
- Developed and implemented a strategy that permitted the settlement of years old litigation in Central America and the U.S.
- Acted as special counsel to the Mexican Consulate General in Los Angeles for the processing of Letters Rogatory pursuant to Inter-American Treaty on Letters Rogatory from Mexican courts seeking international service of process and enforcement of judgments abroad. Extensive experience in litigation involving international treaties.
Small Sample of Representative Clients1
View more sample Rimon clients →
Rimon’s Office in Latin America
Calle 84A No 10-33. Oficina 803
Tel/Fax: +57 (1) 5142858
Rimon Global Alliance*
* The Rimon Global Alliance is an alliance of independent law firms around the world that collaborate to serve our clients globally.
Rimon Attorneys With Expertise in Latin America Include:
Tax, Trusts and Estates
Jill H. Berliner
International, Corporate, Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation
Rodrigo Castillo Cottin
Tax, International, Trusts and Estates
Stephen Díaz Gavin
International, Litigation, White Collar, Regulatory, and Government Investigations
Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation, International, Corporate
Real Estate, International, Corporate
Litigation, International, FinTech, Cryptocurrencies, and Blockchain, Technology
Susan F. Klein
International, Tax, Financial Services, Real Estate, Technology
Ana Lopez Murillo
Tax, Trusts and Estates
Corporate, Financial Services, International, Technology, Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights
Corporate, Tax, Trusts and Estates, International
Joseph I. (“Joe”) Rosenbaum
Corporate, International, Financial Services, Intellectual Property, Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation, Technology
Douglas J. Schneller
Corporate, Financial Services, International, Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights
Real Estate, Corporate, International, Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights, Technology