The Rimon law firm includes attorneys with more than four decades of domestic and international experience in energy-related business transactions, particularly in the power sector. Due to our firm’s unique governance and compensation model, they experience no bureaucratic friction in gaining the collaboration and support of their colleagues around the world with expertise in corporate law, leveraged finance, project finance, structured finance, technology, real estate, M&A, bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, taxation, litigation and other practice areas, to provide energy clients a full spectrum of efficient representation.
These attorneys are experts in the critical issues, business and financing models and technologies that characterize the highly competitive and regulatorily complicated environments in which our energy clients emerge, develop, grow and change.
Rimon attorneys’ energy-related transaction expertise includes:
- Start-ups in smart metering, cleantech, trading renewable energy and attributes, waste-to-energy, geothermal, energy storage, gas turbine enhancement, big data project analysis, investment banking
- IP litigation
- Power project development – renewable and thermal
- Power purchases and sales
- Equipment, fuel and feedstock supply and transportation
- Project engineering, procurement, construction and operations
- Insurance / risk management
- Power project due diligence
- Project finance
- Venture capital
- Equipment leasing and finance
- Fund structuring
- Domestic and cross-border IPOs
- Renewable energy trading
- Domestic and international joint development ventures
- DFI financing, including U.S. Development Finance Corporation, IFC and IDB
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- China and other countries in Asia
- Real estate
- Workouts and bankruptcies
- U.S. Federal and state power regulation
Energy-related transaction experience
Rimon attorneys have represented entrepreneurs, project sponsors, investors, buyers, lenders, investment bankers, development finance institutions, developers, manufacturers, owners, operators, and public and private corporations in large and small power transactions around the globe. A selection of their representative experience includes:
- Represented the seller in the auction and sale of its domestic independent power production business unit to a private equity buyer
- Advising strategic industrial clients and international financial investors including Sovereign Wealth Funds on billion-euro transactions and projects in the German energy and infrastructure sectors
- Advised on power generation and project finance in Latin America and Asia Pacific (China / Hong Kong) regions
- Advised on project financing in emerging markets, including the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, and Africa.
- Advised Sinochem in proposed acquisition of crude oil storage facility in an Asian country
- Acted for a major US nuclear power plant operator in procurement of nuclear fuel supply from China
- Represented Deutsche Bank. Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan and China Construction Bank Int’l in pre-IPO financings for “red chip” Chinese companies in the solar energy industries
- Lender’s counsel for a construction-to-term loan facility for a $62.5 million landfill-gas-to-energy facility in California, and sale of a participation interest in the financing.
- Counsel to lender on a non-recourse construction-to-term loan project financing for a $15 million natural-gas-fired power plant in Ontario, Canada designed to power greenhouses for a cannabis facility.
- Acted for a financial services corporation in structuring, documenting, and closing a non-recourse project financing covering five biogas energy facilities in California (under the Bioenergy Market Adjusting Tariff), that also involved a tax-exempt overlay with the California Pollution Control Finance Authority
- Lender’s counsel for a $31 million anaerobic digester project that processes food, oil and grease (FOG) waste produced by Disney World in Orlando, Florida and earned the American Biogas Council's "Merchant Biogas Project of the Year" award
- Advised borrower in connection with a $105 million syndicated loan facility for nearly two dozen landfill-gas-to-energy projects, and a later $50 million upsizing to finance the acquisition of approximately one dozen more landfill gas-to-energy projects.
- Represented lessor in connection with multiple sale-leaseback transactions of roof-top solar panels.
- Representing developers of $4 Billion in pumped storage hydroelectric generation and transmission projects in the Southwest U.S.
- Provided corporate, finance and general outside counsel services to a startup registered broker-dealer using a proprietary unique and patented big data online platform to facilitate project financing for otherwise under-banked mid-market renewable energy projects
- General outside counsel services including commercial agreements and joint venture structuring for the first woman-owned renewable energy and carbon trading company in the United States
- Structuring a unique debt-based venture capital fund to finance and own inside-the-fence cogeneration facilities in commercial buildings, including all commercial arrangements to actuate the underlying business transactions supporting the debt
- General outside counsel to solar developers, including preparation of power purchase agreements and solar leases
- Advising small-module nuclear developer regarding nuclear fuel procurement agreement
- Represented various interested parties in contested proceedings and rulemaking proceedings before energy regulatory agencies in more than 30 states
- Assisted lenders and equity investors in due diligence for utility-scale solar generation projects in Southeastern U.S.
- Acted for a project sponsor in connection with the development and OPIC-backed financing of a natural gas-to-ammonia-urea plant in Nigeria
- Represented a Jordanian private equity fund in connection with financing one of its solar energy portfolio companies
- Advised an international lighting technology joint venture in connection with contracting and financing various city lighting projects in Latin America
- Advised a Latin American private equity fund investing in an energy conglomerate in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Represented a utility pole manufacturer as outside general counsel and with respect to various corporate and commercial finance matters
- Acted as outside general counsel to a utility metering company and in connection with various venture capital and joint-venture transactions
- Represented an insurance company in connection with financing the Philippine power distribution system
- Represented a Philippine alternative energy producer on the sale of certain key assets
Rimon Attorneys With Expertise in Energy Transactions Include:
Financial Services, Private Client, International
Timothy M. Gladden
Dirk Walter Hamann
Corporate, FinTech, Cryptocurrencies, and Blockchain, International, Litigation, Private Client, Real Estate, Technology
Financial Services, Corporate
Corporate, Financial Services, International, Private Client, Technology
Sarah (Xiaohua) Zhao
Corporate, Financial Services, International, Technology