Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Rimon’s employment law and executive compensation and benefits attorneys provide counseling advice as well as representation in litigation on a range of employment matters globally.
We provide counseling to employers on employee classification, wage and hour, trade secrets, workers compensation, and other issues. We assist employers with drafting contracts where needed and devise agreements, including non-competes, non-solicitation agreements and independent contractor agreements. Our attorneys provide training to employers and counsel on the development of employee handbooks. In addition, we conduct workshops for human resources departments and employers on topics such as how to legally hire and fire, and the proper process for background checks and security and drug tests.
- Advising the management team of a publicly traded company on topics including recruitment discrimination, terminations, hearing requirements, attrition to competitors, IP-related conflicts, ethical standards, hours of work and rest law, compensation and benefits, outside contractor law, privacy rights, and wage protection.
- Advising an audit committee on its review of executive officer misuse of funds and breach of Code of Conduct.
- Representation of a technology company and defense contractor regarding California requirements to notify employees and local health departments regarding possible COVID-19 exposure.
- Counseling a pharmaceutical company on trade secret issues related to employee intake, including related employee training.
- Representation of c-level medical device executive in connection with her employment agreement.
- Representation of a moving company in connection with California employment law issues, the redrafting of independent contractor agreements further to AB 5 and AB 2257, and with regard to workers’ compensation insurance issues.
- Development of employment agreements for U.S. and South African personnel for a South African security business.
- Acting as U.S. general employment counsel for a Chinese electric vehicle manufacturer in connection with employment matters.
Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Rimon’s Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation attorneys handle a comprehensive range of issues concerning employee and executive compensation, benefit plans and arrangements. We advise clients in relation to stock option plans, nonqualified deferred compensation, and equity compensation arrangements (including partnership profits interest grants), and the tax consequences of compensation arrangements. Our attorneys also represent CEOs and other senior executives in relation to the negotiation of their employment and separation agreements.
Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Representation of CEOs and other high-level executives in the negotiation of employment agreements, employment separation agreements, and related transactions.
- Representation of a private equity fund in connection with employment advice related to the recruitment of a c-level executive for a portfolio company.
- Representation of the estate of a public university benefits plan participant regarding its appeal from the denial of its initial claim for retirement benefits. We obtained a full reversal of the initial denial, resulting in a multi-million-dollar judgment on behalf of the client.
- Representation of a Japanese financial services firm in the design and implementation of an equity-based compensation plan.
- Advising a developer of training software for biosensors in connection with its employee stock plan.
- Representation of a battery technology company in connection with the creation of a management team bonus plan.
- Representation of a dental telehealth company in connection with the creation of an executive stock incentive plan.
- Representation of a c-level executive in connection with the negotiation of board member and advisor contracts and personal investments.
- Representation of a company founder in connection with the sale of his company and a post-closing dispute related to the terms of the acquisition and his ongoing employment.
We represent clients in a wide variety of employment litigation, including trade secrets litigation, separation and compensation disputes, wage and hour disputes, discrimination (including sexual harassment, disability, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and Title VII discrimination), union arbitrations, unfair labor practice proceedings, and workers compensation appeals. In addition, we represent clients in corporate whistleblowing and internal investigations, breach of contract cases, and employee vs. independent contractor classification and disputes. As a truly global law firm, we are well equipped to advise on cross-border employment law issues and litigation.
- Representation of Alipay US, a subsidiary of Ant Financial, in employment litigation and arbitration related to the company’s alleged wrongful termination of an employee. The dispute was initially filed in federal court, but we successfully had it the dispute transferred to arbitration, where we ultimately arrived at a favorable settlement for the client.
- Representation of a senior Silicon Valley executive in a trade secret misappropriation action brought following new employment with a competitor.
- Representation of a company accused of RICO violations arising out of the termination of an employee
- Representation of XMotors.ai as a significant third party in connection with major, ongoing trade secrets litigation filed by Tesla following the departure of a former employee.
- Representation of an individual who was fired by a prominent social media company in the review of his severance agreement.
- Representation of a leading e-commerce company in an arbitration involving whistleblower claims made by former employees.
- Representation of the founders of a design company in a dispute with one of its partners, including vacating a no-notice TRO and engineering a buy-out settlement, and successfully litigating follow-up actions alleging rescission of the buy-out agreement based on economic duress.
- Representation of a radiologist with respect to claims against his former group for unpaid deferred compensation, successfully defending counterclaims of over $2 million.
- Representation of a prominent a Chinese electric vehicle manufacturer in connection with the departure of an employee.
Attorneys in Rimon’s Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Team
Laura M. Chavkin
Intellectual Property, Litigation, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Robert (Bob) Cocchia
Litigation, Technology, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Corporate, International, Technology, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Jennifer Gillon Duffy
Litigation, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Litigation, Intellectual Property, FinTech, Cryptocurrencies, and Blockchain, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Litigation, Technology, Financial Services, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
John J. Hanley
Financial Services, Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights, Corporate, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Corporate, Financial Services, Technology, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Financial Services, Litigation, Technology, Education, Universities, and Endowments, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Financial Services, Corporate, Technology, Education, Universities, and Endowments, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Thomas M. White
Tax, Financial Services, Corporate, Technology, Education, Universities, and Endowments, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation