Emerging Companies and Venture Capital
Rimon has over 100 attorneys located in key markets across the United States and abroad who advise start-ups, emerging and growth companies, venture capital and private equity funds, and more with all aspects of formation, financings at various stages, investments, acquisitions, public offerings, secondary transactions, mergers, joint ventures, contracts, intellectual property protection, patent prosecution, and corporate governance.
As a firm that is itself disrupting the legal industry, we are particularly well-suited to supporting dynamic, forward-thinking entrepreneurs and companies and the investors that fund them.
We’re Invested in You
With offices in major technology hubs and a team of partners that includes former entrepreneurs and investors, Rimon’s attorneys become active members of the start-ups and investment management firms we represent. Beyond solely providing legal advice, our attorneys are also often able to leverage their deep roots in the entrepreneurial and investment management communities to help early-stage companies and interested investors connect. Using our global platform, we often connect our clients to funding sources or other synergistic relationships.
Representing Emerging Companies Throughout Their Life Cycles
We help entrepreneurs throughout the full life cycles of their companies. Our attorneys have helped thousands of early-stage companies to identify the best business strategies and legal models to structure their companies and incentive plans, to procure financing and negotiate valuations, to protect their intellectual property, manage their relationships with employees and service providers, and eventually to navigate exit through sale, merger, or IPO.
We are sensitive to the often-limited budgets of emerging companies, and our streamlined business model allows us to offer our clients value-driven fee structures that are manageable and predictable. Furthermore, our firm is comprised of experienced partners drawn from elite law firms, the private sector, and academia, with few associates. This means that our start-up clients benefit not only from the greater value we offer but also from the expertise of seasoned counsel that nascent enterprises require.
- Representation of an auto-driving startup in its Series B financing.
- Representation of an early-stage biotechnology company in a preferred equity offering.
- Representation of a provider of cloud-based 3D photography in connection with multiple financing rounds.
- Representation of Cubicon, Inc., a developer, and manufacturer of 3D printers, in connection with its seed financing.
- Representation of a developer of a cloud-based point of sale system, in connection with an investment by Welsh Carson.
- Representation of a developer of interactive chart creation and social sharing software in connection with multiple rounds of venture financing.
- Representation of a virtual application infrastructure software company in two preferred equity financings.
- Representation of a provider of software and secure technology to correctional systems in completing multiple rounds of financing.
- Representation of a nano R&D startup in connection with preferred stock financings.
- Representation of an emerging manufacturing company selling patented products into global markets in the negotiation and closing of a $30 million Series A round from strategic investors, and in considering inversion options.
- Representation of a China-based internet data center services provider in connection with a $30 million investment by a consortium of venture capital investors.
- Representation of MetaMetrics, Inc., the developer of the Lexile Framework for Reading® and the Quantile Framework for Mathematics®, in its recapitalization transaction with Pamlico Capital.
- Representation of Tiara Pharmaceutical in connection with its seed financing.
Operations and Employment
- Representation of a technology company in corporate matters, including financing and licensing, from its early stage through sale to Twitter.
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company from formation through its purchase by a private equity fund.
- Represented clean technology company in connection with a joint venture and license of technology to the Chinese partner.
- Representation of a health IT startup in connection with the company's organization, licensing, and IP matters.
- Representation of a technology company in connection with licensing matters.
- Representation of a major software development company active in the blockchain space in its U.S. operations.
- Representation of Time to Know, an EdTech company, in a joint venture-style license agreement with McGraw-Hill for the United States market.
- Representation of an early-stage pharmaceutical company in connection with the negotiation of a joint venture agreement with Amgen.
- Representation of venture partners joining prominent venture firms, including Andreessen Horowitz and Gradient Ventures.
- Representation of an early-stage Silicon Valley software developer in connection with a trademark dispute.
- Representation of a China-based cloud API application server and data integration platform in connection with the negotiation of a technology license agreement with Synopsys.
- Advising numerous early-stage IT companies in dealing with all issues within complex multi-party contracts, IP development rights, capital & affiliate entity formation, and documentation, shareholder/investor liquidity preferences, and matters of general corporate governance.
- Representation of OPPO Digital, Inc., a Chinese-owned Silicon Valley company that produces the highest-rated disc players, in defense of a patent infringement action filed by patent-holding company Blue Spike in Texas.
- Defense of a senior Silicon Valley executive in a trade-secret misappropriation action brought following new employment with a competitor.
- Lead counsel in a federal court action defending a Silicon Valley start-up in a fraud and securities action alleging breach of convertible notes.
- Represented the founder of a company in a securities and employment dispute with a new investor.
- Representation of MetaMetrics, Inc. in its sale to Apax Partners.
- Representation of a high-resolution micro-imaging systems provider in connection with its sale to an ultrasound provider.
- Representation of Tradescape in its $280 million sale of three operating subsidiaries to E*Trade.
- Representation of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. in its $300 million sale to Novopharm Limited.
- Represented WordLens, Inc., a privately held technology company, in its sale to Google.
- Representation of the majority owner of Impakt Holdings in the $329 million sale of the company to Celestica, Inc.
- Represented Quadrant-Amroq Bottling Company Limited, the exclusive Pepsi bottler for the country of Romania, in selling a 49% interest to PepsiAmericas, Inc. for $51 million.
Representing Investors at Home and Abroad
We assist angel, seed, venture capital, and private equity investors across the full spectrum of their operations, including in connection with fund formation and capital raises, investments and divestments, contract and employment negotiations, compliance and corporate governance, tax planning, and other considerations.
Over the course of their careers, our attorneys have advised high-profile and emerging investors on thousands of transactions. We regularly represent our investment fund clients in their domestic and cross-border investments and operations, with special expertise in cross-border transactions involving parties based in the U.S., Asia, and Eastern Europe.
- Representation of Mithril Capital Management in the formation of a $500 million growth equity fund.
- Representation of Band of Angels in connection with the formation of its Acorn Fund I.
- Advised Telenor ASA on the formation of F&J Labs and Telenor's investment in F&J Labs/Telenor Co-Invest I, L.P., Co-Invest II L.P., and Co-Invest III, L.P.
- Representation of a growth-stage venture capital fund in the formation of a $200 million fund.
- Negotiation of the termination and dissolution of a CVC group for a major telecommunications and media company.
- Representation of a technology accelerator in the formation of a growth fund for investments in its companies.
- Representation of a NYSE listed company in its spin-out of an internally managed venture capital fund.
- Representation of Kairos Investment Management Company in the formation of a $500 million evergreen fund.
- Representation of Menlo Asset Management in the formation of its Menlo Asset-Backed Partners II fund.
- Representation of Realization Capital Partners in the formation of a $100 million technology opportunity fund.
- Representation of Band of Angels in numerous venture capital investments into prominent tech companies.
- Representation of Sberbank venture funds in equity investments in the tech industry in the U.S. and Israel.
- Representation of Intel Capital in connection with numerous venture capital investments.
- Representation of a Hong Kong-based venture capital fund in connection with its investment into Mesa Biotech, a U.S.-based biotech company.
- Representation of an international life sciences investment fund headquartered in Asia in investments into multiple life sciences companies.
- Representation of a prominent U.S. venture capital fund in its investment into a U.S. security technology company.
- Representation of Phoenix Venture Fund in a series of mezzanine and bridge financings of Xplore Technologies, Inc.
- Representation of a private equity fund in connection with a $200 million investment in a China-based automobile rental company.
- Representation of Savitr Capital in numerous venture capital investments into prominent tech and biotech companies.
- Representation of Sorenson Capital in connection with multiple rounds of venture investment into Open Path, Inc.
- Representation of Citrix Startup Accelerator in multiple seed-stage investments into enterprise software companies.
- Representation of SWC Capital in connection with its investment into a self-driving car technology company.
- Represented Whitman Capital in connection with its investment in Coupang, Inc., a South Korean e-commerce company.
- Represented a venture fund in a series of mezzanine and bridge financings of a publicly-traded medical instruments company.
Operations and Regulatory
- Representation of State Street Global Advisors in connection with regulatory issues related to the firm's operations in China.
- Representation of a private equity fund manager with $5 billion AUM in connection with a reorganization.
- Advised two emerging real estate funds regarding the application of the ‘Foreign Private Adviser’ rules in Section 202(a) (30) et seq., under Dodd-Frank.
- Representation of Promontory Capital Group in communications and discussions with the Central Bank of China for the establishment of an RBM settlement center in the United States.
- Representation of Mackay Shields in connection with regulatory issues related to the firm's operations in China.
Recent NEWS AND INSIGHTS
Global Law Firm Rimôn, PC expands in Europe with the opening of a new Paris office
Rimon welcomes Steven P. Eichel as a Corporate and Tax Partner in its Boston office
Rimon Law welcomes Geoffrey Fasel as Corporate Partner in its Kansas City office
Rimon Attorneys With Expertise in Emerging Companies and Venture Capital Include:
Corporate, Financial Services, Real Estate
Bernays T. (Buz) Barclay
Financial Services, Corporate, Real Estate, International
James C. Chapman
Corporate, International, Technology
Financial Services, Corporate, Technology
Corporate, International, Technology, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Technology, Intellectual Property, Litigation, Corporate
Steven P. Eichel
Geoffrey D. Fasel
Corporate, Real Estate, Technology
Jeffrey A. Fromm
Corporate, International, Technology, Education, Universities, and Endowments
Corporate, FinTech, Cryptocurrencies, and Blockchain, Intellectual Property, Technology
Timothy M. Gladden
Olivia Lê Horovitz
Corporate, Technology, International
Corporate, Financial Services, International, Real Estate
Debbie A. Klis
Corporate, Real Estate, Financial Services, International, Tax
Corporate, International, Technology
Daria von Mensenkampff
Corporate, International, Technology, Trusts and Estates
Corporate, International, FinTech, Cryptocurrencies, and Blockchain, Financial Services, Fine Art and Cultural Property
Mark H. Mirkin
Corporate, Technology, Intellectual Property
Corporate, Real Estate, Financial Services, Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation, Technology
International, Financial Services, Corporate, Technology
Samuel (Sandy) B. Sterrett, Jr.
Corporate, Intellectual Property, International, Technology, Education, Universities, and Endowments, Fine Art and Cultural Property
International, Corporate, Technology
Corporate, Financial Services, International, Technology, Fine Art and Cultural Property
Financial Services, Corporate, Technology
Financial Services, Corporate, Technology, Education, Universities, and Endowments, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation