Our attorneys have decades of experience representing many of the most prominent Chinese companies in connection with all aspects their U.S. operations, often acting as trusted outside-China general counsel, and advising major U.S. and international companies in connection with their activities and investments in China. Our group consists of lawyers who have lived in China, worked with Chinese businesses for many years, and opened representative offices in China for multinational law firms.
We are conversant with Chinese culture, business practices, and language. We have collaborated with Chinese companies, government agencies, and local law firms, and are familiar with the law, legal system, and business environment of China. We know that in most cross-border matters, the essence of success lies in identifying and then bridging the variations in interpretation, legal and tax outcomes, and corporate strategy on each side, to bring about a “meeting of minds.” Our attorneys are seasoned practitioners who leverage their deep U.S. and China experience to help our clients navigate dynamic cross-border complexities and accomplish their business objectives.
Outside General U.S. Counsel
Partners in our China Practice are highly seasoned practitioners with deep U.S. and China experience who take a “hands-on” approach. We act as trusted advisors to the Boards and senior management many of the most prominent Chinese companies, advising them at an enterprise level of analysis and bringing political, market, and corporate strategy, and tax, legal, and regulatory insight to their challenges and opportunities in the United States.
- Representation of Alibaba in connection with data privacy, intellectual property, regulatory, litigation, and other matters.
- Representation of DJI (Dajiang Innovations), the leading drone company, in a wide variety of legal matters, including patent and trademark portfolio management and dispute resolution, technology licensing, data privacy counseling, product liability counseling, employment counseling, and consumer class action litigation.
- Representation of a prominent Chinese gaming company as outside general intellectual property counsel.
- Representation of a venture-backed, China-based artificial intelligence computing developer in connection with general corporate matters.
- Representation of a Silicon Valley R&D subsidiary of a Chinese state-owned multinational white goods and electronics manufacturer in connection with general corporate matters.
- Representation of major multinational Chinese technology companies as general contract and licensing outside counsel, including negotiation of deals and review of licensing agreements against Amazon, Google, Apple, ARM, Synopsys, and other major companies.
- Representation of digital medial startups founded by Chinese-American entrepreneurs, which are now unicorns, from the time of their formation.
- Representation of a China-based cloud API application server and data integration platform in connection with general corporate counseling.
- Representation of a Hong Kong-based manufacturing company in connection with general corporate matters.
- Representation of a Chinese business supplies and equipment company in connection with its U.S. operations.
- Representation of a China-based manufacturer of generic car parts in connection with the establishment of its operations in the United States.
- Representation of a Chinese consumer products company in its corporate and commercial matters.
- Assisting a Chinese retail company regarding its IP and corporate matters.
Doing Business in the United States
Our attorneys have extensive experience advising major Chinese companies, investors, and state-owned enterprises in connection a wide range of transactions in the United States. We advise our clients in connection with investments, financings, mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions, U.S. subsidiary formations and corporate reorganizations, U.S. regulatory and compliance issues, government investigations, and other matters.
- Representation of Particle Media, a provider of personalized news content with a $1billion+ valuation in connection with its Series C financing.
- Representation of the investment arm of a major Chinese multinational electronics company in connection with an investment.
- Representation of a Hong Kong-based venture capital fund in connection with its investment into a U.S.-based biotech company.
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company in connection with its reorganization in advance of its Hong Kong IPO.
- Representation of a Chinese contact lens company in connection with the purchase of Acuity Polymers, a U.S. company.
- Representation of a Cayman-incorporated Chinese semiconductor company in connection with its Series D financing in the U.S.
- Representation of a NYSE-listed China-based social networking company in its $855 million initial public offering of American depositary shares (ADSs) and listing on NYSE as well as in its $110 million concurrent private placement.
- Representation of a NASDAQ-listed China-based internet search company in a $1.5 billion public offering of senior notes.
- Representation of a top 2 Chinese video gaming company in several corporate transactions in the U.S., including financing and M&A exit deals.
- Representation of a top Chinese digital media company in its investment in a U.S. digital media company.
- Representation of a NYSE-listed China-based online video company in a public offering of ADSs used as consideration in a $1.1 billion acquisition and take-private transaction of a NASDAQ-listed company.
- Representation of a Chinese developer and manufacturer of point-of-care testing solutions in the formation of a U.S. subsidiary.
- Advised a Chinese state-owned bank on California collateral arrangements and financing matters in connection with a project for the redevelopment of San Francisco’s Treasure Island, Candlestick Point and Hunter’s Point Naval Shipyard.
- Representation of a Chinese publicly traded pharmaceutical company in connection with its investment in a U.S. privately held life science company.
- Representation of a biopharma company in connection with due diligence and legal opinions related to its U.S. subsidiaries in advance of its IPO in China.
- Representation of Cubicon, Inc., a developer and manufacturer of 3D printers, in connection with its seed financing.
- Representation of a China-based internet data center services provider in connection with a $30 million investment by a consortium of venture capital investors.
- Representation of China-based public company with U.S. operations in Regulation S and Regulation D offerings for multiple U.S.-based real estate projects seeking offshore investors in connection with the EB-5 program.
- Representation of a NYSE-listed Chinese holding company that owns emergency rescue services business in connection with its sale, including SEC compliance issues.
- Representation of a Chinese real estate developer in its financing of a residential and commercial real estate development in New York City.
- Representation of Senodia Technologies, Inc., a developer of inertial MEMS, in connection with the sale of its Series C Preferred Stock to DFJ DragonFund.
- Representation of a Chinese pharmaceutical company in its clinical trial effort in the U.S.
- Representation of a top Chinese gene editing company in its business expansion in the U.S.
Doing Business in China
We have extensive experience guiding non-Chinese Fortune 50 companies, investors, and individuals as they invest, operate, and litigate in China. We provide guidance in connection with PRC compliance and government investigations, technology transfer to Chinese or Asia-based companies, foreign direct investment, mergers and acquisitions, IP protection, and negotiation of OEM, manufacturing, and other agreements with Chinese companies.
- Representation of an investment management firm focused on investments in Chinese financial institutions in connection with PRC, Singapore, and U.S. compliance considerations.
- Representation of an Indonesian company on Chinese compliance issues.
- Representation of 4C Air, Inc. in connection with the formation of a joint venture in China and transfer of technology.
- Representation of Johnson & Johnson in its acquisition of a leading medical devices company in China.
- Representation of a multibillion-dollar technology company in connection with the NDRC anti-monopoly investigation. The investigation was terminated.
- Representation of a private equity fund in connection with a $200 million investment in a China-based automobile rental company.
- Representation of a large multibillion-dollar US semiconductor company in connection with its China transactions.
- Advised on the sale of a business division operated in the U.S. and through subsidiaries in China to, and equity investment in, a venture capital-financed portfolio company, in conjunction with restructuring of client’s Chinese subsidiaries.
- Representation of the board of directors in an internal investigation of a financial institution in China.
- Representation of a U.S. Fortune 50 company in connection with its investment in and technology transfer to a company in China.
- Served as tax counsel to a France-based manufacturer in connection with an acquisition of a China-based manufacturer.
- Representation of a U.S. medical products manufacturer in connection with its joint venture in China.
- Representation of a life science SAAS company in connection with the license and distribution of its services in China.
- Representation of a clean technology company in connection with a joint venture and license of technology to Chinese partner.
- Representation of a U.S. publicly traded pharmaceutical company in connection with its China operations.
- Representation of major investment funds, including State Street Global Advisors, MacKay Shields, Natixis, WisdomTree Investments, and others in connection with Chinese regulatory issues.
- Representation of China International Capital Corporation Limited in connection with the establishment of the first joint-venture investment bank between China Construction Bank and Morgan Stanley.
- Representation of Deutsche Bank, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, and China Construction Bank International in numerous pre-IPO financings for red chip Chinese companies in the mining, infrastructure, solar energy, retail and other industries.
- Representation of IBM as counsel leading a team to provide the company with comprehensive legal services related to Chinese government and regulatory matters.
- Representation of Nasdaq in the establishment of its representative office in China.
- Representation of Mattel in connection with product recall and related investigations by local product safety regulators and customs for export in China during its global recall.
- Representation of a Canadian listed company in its merger with a Chinese industrial surveillance software company.
- Representation of a major U.S. nuclear power plant operator in procurement of nuclear fuel supply from China.
- Representation of a privately-held U.S. distribution company in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a China manufacturing subsidiary of a Nasdaq-listed company.
- Representation of Farallon Capital Management in various investments in China.
Rimon’s IP team includes IAM top 300 IP strategists and seasoned patent attorneys with years of patent drafting, prosecuting, and dispute resolution experience. They regularly counsel Chinese companies on IP protection and infringement issues related to their entry into the U.S. market, and work with Chinese companies in their acquisition or licensing of patents, trade secrets, trademarks or copyrights from U.S. companies.
Our IP attorneys also advise Chinese companies in connection with technology transactions with international companies across a wide variety of industries, including semiconductor, internet, consumer electronics, energy, fintech, and life sciences, working on many different types of agreements. In view of China’s rapid rise as a strong player in the IP protection field, Rimon’s IP attorneys also help U.S. companies to protect and leverage their IP assets in China through patents, trademarks, trademark prosecution and trademark dispute, licensing agreements, portfolio management, and business contracts.
- Representation of a large U.S. technology company in connection with the sale of a patent portfolio for mobile chipsets to Chinese company.
- Representation of a China-based manufacturer of generic car parts in connection with analysis of competitors’ patents and the development of non-infringing designs in connection with the company’s establishment of operations in the United States.
- Representation of a China-based cloud API application server and data integration platform in connection with a patent application.
- Representation of Cambricon, a unicorn AI chip company, in its patent prosecution in the U.S.
- Representation of Everest Medicine, a leading biotech startup, in patent prosecution in the U.S. and worldwide.
- Representation of Ubtech, a leading robotics company, in patent and trademark matters in the U.S.
- Representation of Huawei in patent prosecution in the U.S.
- Representation of Visionox in patent prosecution in the U.S.
Intellectual Property Litigation, Commercial Litigation and White-Collar Defense
Rimon’s China practice is further strengthened by its litigators, who represent Asia-based clients in high-profile cases related to patent and trademark infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, copyright issues, employment dispute, class actions, complex business disputes, white collar criminal defense, and government investigation. We regularly represent our clients in state and federal court and before the ITC, including at trial and on appeal. We also represent Asia-based clients and Chinese Americans in white-collar criminal defense cases relating to trade secrets theft, Economic Espionage Act, criminal fraud issues and dealing with U.S. government investigations relating to FCPA, fraud, SEC or tax violations. Our litigators have the resources, experience, and local connections required to handle cross-border investigations and litigations on the ground in the United States, China, and other Asian countries.
- Representation of Alipay US, a subsidiary of Ant Financial, in employment litigation and arbitration related to the company’s alleged wrongful termination of an employee. Initially filed in federal court, we successfully had the dispute transferred to arbitration, where we ultimately arrived at a favorable settlement for the client.
- Representation of Alibaba in connection with a consumer class action related to data privacy.
- Representation of XMotors.ai as a significant third party in connection with major, ongoing trade secrets litigation filed by Tesla following the departure of a former employee.
- Representation of a prominent Chinese electronics manufacturer in a major contract litigation against Microsoft.
- Representation of a Chinese bank in money laundering and economic sanctions investigation by the United States Department of Justice.
- Representation, as U.S. litigation advisor, of BGI Genomics Co., Ltd. in connection with high-profile patent infringement litigation brought by Illumina.
- Defending a patent infringement lawsuit on behalf of Anker, a Chinese consumer product company, against LedComm LLC regarding LED display technology in the Central District of California.
- Representation of Baidu, Inc., Baidu USA, and another Baidu entity in defense of patent litigation brought by Fellowship Filtering Technologies in the Eastern District of Texas regarding technology related to internet advertising. The case settled shortly after a motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction and a motion to transfer.
- Representation of Hytera, a leading Chinese radio manufacturer, in antitrust monopolization claims (including SEPs) against Motorola Solutions.
- Representation of Chinese Americans in an investigation by the United States Department of Justice for procurement fraud regarding the provision of services to NASA at the Kennedy Space Center. No criminal charges were filed.
- Representation of multiple Chinese investors before the Securities and Exchange Commission regarding allegations of fraudulent investments pursuant to the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program.
- Representation of a global health care/medical device company in connection with parallel investigations by the SEC and the DOJ into alleged violations of the FCPA in China and several other countries around the world. Helped the company resolve the inquiry through a non-prosecution agreement and settled the enforcement action with the SEC and the DOJ.
- Defending a patent infringement lawsuit on behalf of Beijing 7Invensun, a Chinese eye-tracking company, against Tobii regarding eye-tracking technology in the District of Nevada.
- Representation of a Chinese professor in an investigation by the United States Department of Justice for theft of trade secrets and economic espionage.
- Defending a patent infringement lawsuit on behalf of Dimension Technology, a Chinese medical device company, against competitor Viavi in the Northern District of California.
- Defending a patent infringement lawsuit on behalf of Chinese smart phone company OnePlus against AGNC in the Western District of Texas.
- Defending a patent infringement lawsuit on behalf of Chinese LED company Sengled against LedComm LLC regarding LED display technology in the District of Georgia.
- Defending a patent infringement lawsuit on behalf of Chinese auto consumer company Shenzhen Germid against competitor Rosco, Inc. regarding auto backview mirror technology in the Southern District of New York, transferred to the Southern District of Texas.
- Representation of a Chinese consumer product online merchant in a copyright infringement litigation in Central District of California.
- Representation of Chinese American regarding legal compliance with asset protection procedures.
- Defending Kunshan Yiyuan and Kunshan Guoli in major trade secret litigation brought by Philips in Northern District of Illinois.
- Representation of LIBO Cosmetics, a Chinese and Taiwanese cosmetics packaging manufacturer, in defense of claims brought by a former U.S. sales representative claiming millions of dollars in underpaid commissions on his sales to Revlon.
- Representation of a Chinese bank in a money laundering and economic sanctions investigation by the United States Department of Justice.
- Defending a Chinese-American professor against U.S. government prosecution based on failure to disclose information relating to China.
- Defending a Chinese-American professor against a trade secrets misappropriation investigation and litigation.
Doing Business Globally
Our Chinese clients seeking to invest, acquire, or expand in Asia, Israel, Russia, Europe, North and Latin America, and the Caribbean, also regularly turn to us to help them with their global goals and operations. With offices worldwide spanning four continents, Rimon is truly a global law firm. Our International Desks have the experience and network to help Chinese companies to clear legal hurdles and navigate regulatory systems in any major market. We have represented many Chinese enterprises in cross-border IP transactions, private equity and venture capital investments, dispute resolutions, securities offerings, equity financings, infrastructural projects, corporate restructurings and reorganizations, public and private mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance issues, and regulatory compliance in the U.S. and throughout the world.
- Representation of Xiaomi, a Chinese multinational electronics company, in a variety of legal issues relevant to doing business worldwide.
- Representation of g Cambricon, a unicorn AI chip company, in a variety of legal issues relating to doing business worldwide.
- Representation of Ecoflow, a leading consumer battery company, in a variety of legal issues relating to doing business worldwide.
- Representation of a Chinese investment company in connection with media strategy related to defamation of the company regarding its use of user data in the U.K.
- Representation of a Hong Kong fund manager in its financing of a real estate project in Korea.
- Representation of a Hong Kong fund manager in its trade-based financing and restructuring of a Singapore manufacturer and exporter.
- Representation of a highly structured fund designed to finance Chinese residency applications in an EU member nation.
- Representation of China Development Bank in offshore investment projects.
- Representation of a Chinese state-owned enterprise in its outbound acquisition of a United Arab Emirates-headquartered air flight supporting company.
- Representation of a Chinese state-owned enterprise in its acquisition of a machinery manufacturer in the Netherlands.
- Representation of a leading Chinese aviation company, in the context of the due diligence of a French aeronautical company.
Small Sample of Representative Clients
View more sample Rimon clients →
Rimon Attorneys With Expertise in China Include:
Financial Services, International
James C. Chapman
Corporate, International, Technology
Intellectual Property, Litigation, International
Corporate, Intellectual Property, International, Litigation, Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation, Technology
Corporate, International, Technology, Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Olivia Lê Horovitz
Corporate, Technology, International
FinTech, Cryptocurrencies, and Blockchain, Intellectual Property
Debbie A. Klis
Corporate, Real Estate, Financial Services, International, Tax
Corporate, International, Technology
Intellectual Property, Litigation, Technology, International
Litigation, Intellectual Property
Intellectual Property, International
Joseph I. (“Joe”) Rosenbaum
Corporate, International, Financial Services, Intellectual Property, Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation, Technology
International, Financial Services, Corporate, Technology
Yaacov P. Silberman
International, Corporate, Technology
Litigation, Real Estate, Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights, Financial Services
Intellectual Property, Litigation, Technology, International, FinTech, Cryptocurrencies, and Blockchain
Intellectual Property, Litigation
Financial Services, Corporate, International
Sarah (Xiaohua) Zhao
Corporate, Financial Services, International, Technology
Real Estate, Corporate, International, Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights, Technology