District of Columbia, Virginia
Practice TeamsCorporate Team, Intellectual Property Team
ExperienceMergers & Acquisitions, Technology Licensing, Startups & Startup Financing
EducationGeorge Washington University J.D.
George Washington University M.B.A.
University of Southern California B.S. (cum laude); Head of Class - Entrepreneur Program
Paul Economon is a corporate, contract, commercial, business transactional and technology attorney with an extensive background in providing both legal and business support to the small to medium enterprise sector, with a strong focus on high technology. He has represented numerous privately-held, public, emerging and established companies by providing them with:
- Corporate formation and governance documentation and assistance
- Capital raising and financing agreements
- General (in-house counsel) business representation
- Product and services agreements
- Technology and software development and licensing agreements (from enterprise to SaaS)
- Network, systems and facilities security testing and services agreements
- Distribution and reseller agreements
- Website (e-commerce) development and hosting agreements
- Government prime and subcontracts
- Sales and support agreements
- Employee compensation, confidentiality and non-competition arrangements
- Counsel on all manner of commercial negotiations and disputes.
Mr. Economon has extensive transactional experience with various mergers & acquisitions, asset and stock purchases, corporate and entity reorganizations and recapitalizations, as well as the sale/purchase of securities and other financial facilities, and the accompanying compliance with state and federal securities laws. His experience with venture capital transactions comes from multiple perspectives - from being outside counsel for the company or the investing entity, to being in-house counsel for both at various times, as well as a being the business owner of a venture backed company.
His present and former clients span the spectrum of hi-tech, from various high profile software development companies, to IT security experts and VARs, RFID ventures, online educators, federal contractors, mobile telecomm plays, healthcare innovators, green technology companies, online businesses, as well as venture funds and their portfolios.
Mr. Economon is a member of and the Chief Legal Counsel for iMPACT Ventures Capital Group, LLC, an early stage venture group based in Northern Virginia, and is an equity holder/investor in a number of local start-up entities.
Seeking a broader base of legal experience to draw from for his growing client base, Mr. Economon joined Rimon in October of 2011 from the firm he founded, Economon & Associates, PC. Prior to that, he was a partner in the DC area law firm of Koltun & King, P.C. and has held five in-house positions ranging from General Counsel to COO during his professional career.
Bars & Courts
- Virginia Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit
- Virginia Supreme Court
- Keys to Successful Buy Side M&A Transactions– Published in the Washington Business Journal. May 13, 2005
- Structuring M&A Representation with Investment Bankers– Published in the ACG National Capital Mergers & Acquisitions 2004 Supplement to the Washington Business Journal. May 2004
- Effects of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002. August 2002
- Changing Law as to the Enforceability of Non-Compete Agreements. July 2002
Community Service and Affiliations
- National Capital Chapter of the Association of Corporate Growth
- Virginia Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Active Judge in The George Washington University School of Business's Business Plan Competition
- Selection and Coaching Committee and Co-Chair of Application Assistance for the Business Alliance’s Grubstake Breakfast
- Active Adult Leader in Boy Scout Troop 1104 of Clifton, VA
- Active Coach, assistant referee and parent in both travel and recreational youth soccor with local youth sports leagues
*In Virginia, Rimon, P.C. provides legal services through Rimon, P.C., an Illinois professional corporation