Paul Economon is a corporate, contract, commercial, business transactional and technology attorney with an extensive background in providing both legal and business support to the small to medium enterprise sector, with a strong focus on high technology. He has represented numerous privately-held, public, emerging and established companies by providing them with:
- Corporate formation and governance documentation and assistance
- Capital raising and financing agreements
- Counsel on all manner of commercial negotiations and disputes.
- General (in-house counsel) business representation
- Product and services agreements
- Technology and software development and licensing agreements (from enterprise to SaaS)
- Network, systems and facilities security testing and services agreements
- Distribution and reseller agreements
- Website (e-commerce) development and hosting agreements
- Government prime and subcontracts
- Sales and support agreements
- Employee compensation, confidentiality and non-competition arrangements
Mr. Economon has extensive transactional experience with various mergers & acquisitions, asset and stock purchases, corporate and entity reorganizations and recapitalizations, as well as the sale/purchase of securities and other financial facilities, and the accompanying compliance with state and federal securities laws. His experience with venture capital transactions comes from multiple perspectives - from being outside counsel for the company or the investing entity, to being in-house counsel for both at various times, as well as a being the business owner of a venture backed company.
His present and former clients span the spectrum of hi-tech, from various high profile software development companies, to IT security experts and VARs, RFID ventures, online educators, federal contractors, mobile telecomm plays, healthcare innovators, green technology companies, online businesses, as well as venture funds and their portfolios.
Mr. Economon is a member of and the Chief Legal Counsel for iMPACT Ventures Capital Group, LLC, an early stage venture group based in Northern Virginia, and is an equity holder/investor in a number of local start-up entities.
Seeking a broader base of legal experience to draw from for his growing client base, Mr. Economon joined Rimon in October of 2011 from the firm he founded, Economon & Associates, PC. Prior to that, he was a partner in the DC area law firm of Koltun & King, P.C., Of Counsel with the law firm of Greenebaum Doll & McDonald PLLC, and has held five in-house positions ranging from General Counsel to COO during his professional career.
Bars & Courts
- Virginia Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit
- Virginia Supreme Court
- Keys to Successful Buy Side M&A Transactions– Published in the Washington Business Journal.
- Structuring M&A Representation with Investment Bankers– Published in the ACG National Capital Mergers & Acquisitions 2004 Supplement to the Washington Business Journal.
- Effects of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002.
- Changing Law as to the Enforceability of Non-Compete Agreements.
Community Service and Affiliations
- Mentor - AccelerateDC Venture Mentoring Service (AccelerateDC VMS) - an initiative of the Washington, DC Economic Partnership - http://acceleratedc.org/
- Mentor with DC-I-Corps - http://www.dcicorps.org/
- National Capital Chapter of the Association of Corporate Growth
- Active Judge in The George Washington University School of Business's Business Plan Competition
- Active Adult Leader in Boy Scout Troop 1104 and Cub Scout Pack 1861 of Clifton, VA
- Active Coach, assistant referee and parent in both travel and recreational youth soccor with local youth sports leagues
- Member of Saint Katherine’s Greek Orthodox Church, Falls Church, VA
- Member of Saint Sophia’s Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Washington, DC
- Virginia Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
*In Virginia, Rimon, P.C. provides legal services through Rimon, P.C., an Illinois professional corporation
Related News, Events, & Insights
AccelerateDC’s Boost Your Startup: How to Protect Your Intellectual Property
Events September 11, 2014